Sign in to follow this  
olisb

Who Is Thcs Energy Supplier?

FAO: The Guvnor,

Who is THCs energy supplier?

As a loyal customer (reseller) I'd love to be able to tell all my 'groovy green clients' that their web sites were hosted on servers run by solar and wind! It aint that hard, or much more expensive to get renewable energy theseday, y'dig!?

'leccy can hardly be your main expense and what's a few extra dollars to save the planet and BIG UP the tch brand all in one swift move???

Love all this family stuff!

Big up thalottya!@#$%^&*()_

Let me know, :unsure:

Oli S-B

what's a few extra dollars to save the planet and BIG UP the tch brand all in one swift move???

help save the planet -- kill yourself.

sorry, did I say that out loud? ;)

Yes. These are family forums, please remember that. All he was asking was who supplied the energy to TCH's servers.

Sorry, I should have said that it reminded me of a bumper sticker I had seen once that said that.

I apologize for my crass behavior.

Anyway, I do sleep good knowing that if the wind stops blowing my sites will still be available.

To be honest, you would be REALLY amazed at how much our power bills can be.

;)

Anyway, I do sleep good knowing that if the wind stops blowing my sites will still be available.

Even though I am a new customer here, and I am a kid, and not to mention my site is not a business.

I think that TCH should do what is in best interest to keep their customer's happy.

Bill keeps awesome prices, and not to mention the awesome staff and resources they have to pay for, the fact is if they got higher bills then we would most likely in return see higher prices, and less of the awesome extras that Bill provides to make TCH just that much better. =)

Just my opinion though. ;)

The real problem is the reliability and feasability of these alternate power sources. Here's something from ExxonMobile about the problem:

For example, the report states that renewable resources - primarily hydro - account for just 8 per cent of all electricity generated in the United States and project little chance for any meaningful increase in the near future.

In the company's assessment:

* Wind generation is only economical due to government subsidies, which are in jeopardy.

* Manufacturing of solar photovoltaic technology requires energy equivalent to two years of the device's output.

* Wind and solar power are intermittent, making them incompatible with the steady requirements of electric power grids.

* Ethanol production "requires substantial land that would otherwise be available for food, forests and other use," costs twice as much as gasoline, and requires substantial fossil fuel to produce.

* Hydrogen is unstable, explosive and, again, requires the consumption of fossil fuel to produce.

While we all would love to say we harness the sun and wind, it's just not going to get you enough juice to run things the way we need them to run.

Hopefully science will catch up to our needs but for now there's not a lot of choice. Until the brainy folks get us a better solution, our running about like chickens with our heads chopped off only makes a lot of noise that can't be productive. (Not implying that anyone here is doing this, just thinking about the kinds of folks we see on TV at protests.)

It reminds me of the story of the lady who'se car broke down at a red light. The guy behind her is honking away so she gets out, walks back and says "If you'd like, I'd be happy to let you go try to start that rotten car and I'll sit back here and honk the horn for you while you are doing it." Yes, we do all need to push for better alternatives and funding for it and legislature for it etc, but we must also be responsible in how we push so that we are helping create the cure and not creating a problem.

While normally we would never release photos of the inner workings of our power supplier, to stop all the naysayers I have officially released the following photo.

Here is the power source for the TCH servers. Naughty

tattery.jpg

It reminds me of the story of the lady who'se car broke down

Now that's a man who goes after his possessive pronouns with gusto!

;)

/tease

The real problem is the reliability and feasability of these alternate power sources. Here's something from ExxonMobile about the problem:

At the risk of being inflammatory, I can't help but note that taking advice from ExxonMobile about the disadvantages of renewable energy is like trusting a cat burglar who sells you a new lockset.

Even if it's not particularly feasible right now (though I do know that there are some green-friendly web hosts), customers asking for renewable energy applications seems like the best way to generate (ahem) the right incentives for finding a solution. In that spirit, olisb's asking the right question.

Besides, if it's good enough for the guys who make Fat Tire Amber, well it's good enough for me.

-Alan

* Wind generation is only economical due to government subsidies, which are in jeopardy.

* Manufacturing of solar photovoltaic technology requires energy equivalent to two years of the device's output.

* Wind and solar power are intermittent, making them incompatible with the steady requirements of electric power grids.

* Ethanol production "requires substantial land that would otherwise be available for food, forests and other use," costs twice as much as gasoline, and requires substantial fossil fuel to produce.

* Hydrogen is unstable, explosive and, again, requires the consumption of fossil fuel to produce.

I don't like posting on any forums (notice my low post count). I think I am often taken the wrong way, perhaps I should use more goof emoticons. This thread struck a bad chord with me because I am in the energy business. So by default I am one of those greedy pigs bent on destroying the world while lining my pockets.

The FACTS that TCH-Jim listed mean little when faced with the emotions of environmentalists, (not that I'm saying anyone here is like this). There is no 'Man' trying to keep everybody down. If solar, wind, or hydro could run circles around traditional methods of energy we'd be using them! So what if we burnt up two years of energy making that solar panel -- don't you feel better now!

TCH, like all businesses, is trying to compete by providing a valuable product at a reasonable price. (TCH is under priced if you ask me) These are businesses that provide jobs to provide food, shelter, and well-being. As good as using my tax dollars to subsidize wind farms makes me feel ;) , emotions do not pay the bills or keep the doors open. You can spend thousands, if not millions, building a wind farm in Burton, MI, but don't hold your breath waiting for the stampede of new clients and ROI -return on investment.

If you think for more than a knee-jerk moment about what I said above, "save the world -- kill yourself", it has a lot of truth to it. What I'm saying is that there are practical methods in which to decrease the impact humans have on this world, and there are impractical ones that will do little more than hinder or destroy us in the long run. We must find a balance that we can live with. So everything I just said can be reduced to "save the world -- kill yourself"

:P :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof: :goof:

Here is the power source for the TCH servers

Now i know who borrowed my battery-back up when we had a power failure a few weeks ago. :goof:

I shouldnt do this but i take the chance :P , bad Bill ;) :goof:

Im sorry for that one Bill. :goof:

Edited by Jikrantz

At the risk of being inflammatory, I can't help but note that taking advice from ExxonMobile about the disadvantages of renewable energy is like trusting a cat burglar who sells you a new lockset.

Not inflamatory and point understood, but I believe the facts to be true regardless who is reporting them. Of course, I could be wrong - it has happened. :P

Bellringr, posessives always have apostrophe's don't they? ;)

Bill, is that why TCH has such great uptime? Enerizers keep going and going and going and...

As I understand it TCH keeps its servers in several 3rd party "farms", they may own the servers and the racks but they rent the space and the electric from the company that owns the building. I believe they have little say in what source they can use.

Damn!

I think we’re getting off the point a little here Guv, apart from the facetious (although mildly amusing) pic…

Saberhooter may work in the energy industry but is exemplary of the reason that renewables struggle; nobody will give them the time of day. If more people committed to buying renewables there would be more money for investment in renewables…

It’s the chicken and the egg story. Why moan about the problem when you could be an instigator of the solution?

Schussat makes some good points: I wouldn’t trust ANYTHING Exxon say/print/do any longer than it takes me to apply a swift bit of ‘detournement’ to their logo…

There are many companies that run perfectly using only green energy and just to clarify the point they don’t stop running when the wind stops blowing – their suppliers simply buy back the same amount of energy they use from renewable sources. Increasing investment… etc.

Anyway, it was just an idea.

Keeps you heads in the sand and we’ll be killing for petrol and eating each others children within the next 30 years. Mark my words.

Peace

Oli

:lol:

olisb - You need to lighten up a bit. Slow down and relax.

We will adapt, overcome and we will survive.

Always have, Always will!

..... and eating each others children within the next 30 years. Mark my words.

Ill take mine with a side of Panda grilled over a fire made with trees from the rain forest.

oooh, that's harsh. :)

Why not jsut some simple teryaki sauce? :lol:

...but is exemplary of the reason that renewables struggle; nobody will give them the time of day. If more people committed to buying renewables there would be more money for investment in renewables…

It is hard for a business owner of any type, but especially one that answers to shareholders, to invest in energy sources that are, at the time, untenable and vastly more expensive than conventional methods.

I can appreciate the lack of funding to make these alternatives more cost effective but I can also appreciate a modern-day business owner saying "Gee, I can either pay three times the cost plus a $30K startup investment to get this solar/wind thing going and possibly go out of business in 2 years and make only the tiniest of difference in the 'grand scheme' of things or I can buy electricity from the wires right outside my building and only use a few hundred barrels of oil from the millions that exist, reduce my budget, make a fortune and then be able to invest in solar when I'm rich enough that I can afford to throw the money out."

You gotta admit it's an easy decision for many folks who are demanded to perform for the corporations or the small business owners who can't afford the extra. Unfortunately, with the current situation it's usually the decision to "go conventional". Personally, I'd love to put panels on my roof and catch the rays here in Key West where it rains nearly never, but the startup costs, complicated inverter/battery/etc aspects and the fact that it can't keep the TV and fan running 24/7 for my mom while I'm at work and THEN the computers and other fans/AC/etc running when I get home makes it a no-win for me.

HG is right, lighten up - we sometimes take things seriously but we don't often respond seriously to them in our posts.