Sign in to follow this  
samporras

Google...site Placements...ugh!

After taking advice from fellow TCH ers, I have made some changes to my index page.

Venue Chicago Event Management

I added more text describing the website and placed it at the very bottom where it is not seen by users, but more for the spiders that crawl the site.

I want to maintain the "portal" look to the site and this was an idea I liked and that seemed to make sense to me. Is there anything else that I could do to my site to increase it's page rank? I know that I could get more sites to link back to me, but how do I find relevant sites and then on top of that convince them to link to me.

This last Brandy update by google really freaked me out because my site is completely out of any searches I made. Last time I checked, my page rank was 4 and I could at least find my site when I typed in Venue Chicago Event Management (the name of the company). Now, when I search, all I can find is an a project I did for college in which I used the same company. (I've asked my old teacher repetedly to put a redirect or take the site off of her classroom website, but apparently she hasn't) But that's a whole other spiderweb to untangle.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what to add to my site? Thanks y'all....i've been away for a while starting a new job, but it's good to be back!

Rock Sign

Well, the past few days Google's been doing a new dance/update, so if this is only a recent development in the past couple days, I'd wait it out.

Otherwise, it would seem that your use of invisible text made Google get mad at you... I could be wrong though.

I don't think I did anything that would make google get "mad" at me. I pretty as if it was an introduction to the site and used all relevant keywords of services that we offer.....geez....i hope I didn't do anything wrong! :unsure:

I've noticed a major fluctuation in the rankings so whether it's a traditional dance, or some sort of pseudo dance... things appear to be jumping around.

I'm happy that Yahoo finally scrapped Google in favor of their Inktomi investment. I rank better in Google right now, but I like that fact that there's a real competitor to drive more traffic to our sites.

I think it's more of an algo tweek than a dance. They did seem to have a somewhat major PR recalculation going on the past few days though. The best thing to do is put good content on the site that folks can use, forget trying to trick the search engines, and don't sweat the short term fluxuations.

Another very important thing is to ask yourself, "How would I promote my (my client's) business if Google didn't exist?" There are other directories and search engines to get onto, which will help your PR on google by the way, and there are other marketing methods we must not forget such as your email signatures and business cards having the web address.

That's very true Jim.

The old saying, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" definately applies. Another suggestion is to use a sort of guerilla marketing and use every type of media possible.

One suggestion that I made to my client was to feature a certain part of the website through her voicemail and in correspondances to clients. It's like free advertisement and all of your clients get it. While it may not generate new customers, it helps establish brand awareness and it helps to establish better communication with your repeat customers.

Unfortunately, google is one of the strongest marketing tools to increase traffic towards your website, so while it may not be good to depend on it, it is definately worthwile to invest time into understanding how to use it properly.

That's my 2 cent's worth anyways....hope everyone's having a great day!

-Sam

p.s. - Horde on my webmail has been down for the past week. Squirrel Mail and the other one still work....has this happened to anyone else?

From an earlier TCH post:

4. You have to get some body text on your home page... you have 21 words and some of these are stop words (i.e. not 'looked' at by the search engines [e.g. 'and'])

5. You need to get other sites to link back to your site.

You now have under 100 words... I would say it is still too few. Also, use <b> tags and at least one <h1> tag.

You should move your <title> tag to be just under your <head> tag (i.e. it should be first).

You have only one backlink... from TotalChoice no less :goof: