Web Site Search Options

Depco

I'm looking for options for adding a 'search' function to a website. I like the features offered by dtSearch (www.dtsearch.com) because I'll need to index PDF files, Excel, Word and of course HTML. I currently have 500+MB of files to index and 80% are PDF.

dtSearch is designed for Microsoft servers but they discuss a way to install on non-Microsoft servers here: http://support.dtsearch.com/faq/dts0133.htm. Will that work with TCH?

Has anyone here used dtSearch?

Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

I am currently using the free Atomz search. They limit the number of files they will index for free and we're out of space now. Looking for another option. Their index for a fee options are very expensive.

It won't work with TCH even with their alternate install option? Too bad!

No. That documentation should really say "Installing dtSearch Web on non-Microsoft Web Servers on Microsoft Windows"

It still requires Windows operating system.

I did some research a year ago on PDF indexing search engines, but most of the ones I ended up looking at in any detail were commercial packages. If I find any notes about free ones, I'll let you know.

I am currently using the free Atomz search. They limit the number of files they will index for free and we're out of space now. Looking for another option. Their index for a fee options are very expensive.

Doesn't Google offer a free search engine?

I've never tried it myself, but i've used it on other people's websites with good success.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what kind of hosting account you have, but htdig is the search engine script I almost always use.

http://www.htdig.org

(You might not be able to install it if you don't have shell access, or at least you might need an admin's help from TCH)

I would show you an example of it in use, but my server is currently being moved, so everything is down. :rolleyes: Once its back up, you can see it in use at the following places tho:

www.vactf.org

www.caring4wildlife.com

Edited by TCH-Jim