Resizing/cropping An Image

SlitheryImp

Hallo all,

I am trying to get a picture resized for viewing purposes only, but am having a few problems.

Basically, I would like to have an 'editing area' of 640 x 480 pixels, the file that is put in this editing area may be any size, but if it is larger, I would like it to be proportianally resized until it fits.

I understand how to do this when the files are stored on the server, but I want this to be done with files that are on the users computer, so, in actual fact they are not really made smaller, but are just squeezed into a frame.

I don't think I have explained myself very clearly, if you go here you can see what I am trying to do. (just browse for a jpg file on your system and click on 'apply effects to this file')

Thanks a in advance,

Marcel.

ps. by the way how can I filter the browse to only show *.jpg files?

• 3 weeks later...

Marcel,

I am not sure how you can do what it is you want to do. It seems like you would need some kind of script to perfom the function. I tried to do it to one of the picture on my hard drive, but the image would not show for some reason.

You have a very nice site BTW.

Where did you get the JavaScript code for your navigation system? I'd love to find out and use it in the futrue. It's excellent.

Hope you find a solution to your issue.

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for the reply, I haven't been able to find anything since the original post, so the only option (I think) will be to do a proper upload of the image file and manipulate it server side.

The navigation buttons were made with Sothink DHTMLMenu, you can download a 30 day trial there. Also, it integrates into FrontPage and Dreamweaver.

Marcel.