Subdomain Ftp Access Problems

If I type in "FTP://****" and enter my username and password I have ftp access via my browser. However I have setup a subdomain and have setup seperate FTP access for that subdomain. I can access the subdomain using the seperate FTP account if I use an FTP program such as WS_FTP. However if I type in "ftp://****/subdomain" it prompts me for the name and password, but it won't let me in.

What am I doing wrong?

Do you have any files in the subdomain folder? If not that is why you are seeing a blank white screen. When you log into a subdomain you are put in that folder and cannot access anything above it.

If you want PM me your domian path and login/password and I will tell you what I see. Or you can open a help desk ticket and one of the techs will help.

Edited by TCH-Bruce

Do you have any files in the subdomain folder? If not that is why you are seeing a blank white screen. When you log into a subdomain you are put in that folder and cannot access anything above it.

If you want PM me your domian path and login/password and I will tell you what I see. Or you can open a help desk ticket and one of the techs will help.

Yes there are files there. If I log in using an FTP program I can see the files in the subdomain folder. If I access the site via http://subdomain.mydomain.net I can see them.

Actually, I'm not sure it was letting me log in. I didn't notice the "waiting" icon was still there.

It gets weirder.

Last week I was able to FTP access my root directory using my amin account name. However I was trying to access a subdomain with a sub FTP account.

NOW I can't access the root with my main account.

I don't have an answer for you. Have you tried using an FTP client instead of the browser?

Yes it works fine with my FTP program. However I was wanting to setup a folder that someone could access from any computer.

The people who would be accessing it might not be web savy. I figured the drag and drop capabilities of browser FTP would solve my problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a similar problem :( , different flavor:

I have created a subdomain: child.myserver.com. Then I created a new ftp account. Cpanel gave the username as child@myserver.com. When I use SmartFtp everything works fine.

My problem:

I want to use integrated IE browser ftp. On a protected page I want to put a direct link to browser ftp. I guess this is the way to write the address: ftp://user:password@ftp.myserver.com - Tested: This works for NON sub domains.

For subdomain the address becomes ftp://child@myserver.com:password@ftp.myserver.com

There is simply one "@" too many. It does not work.

Is there a workaround? :unsure:

(I tried replacing @ for & #64 and for its UTF equivalent in several ways but it did not help)

Here is the site http://test.guitarforum.net/

I can LOOK at it via http however I cannot ACCESS it via browser based FTP.

I just entered

ftp://test.guitarforum.net/

and I am prompted with a login box

however if I use

ftp.test.guitarforum.net/

it does not resolve.

For my site ftp.subdomain.domain.ext works

I never try to add user and password in the url

I find it easier to use the login box.

But

ftp://user:password@mainsite.ext/

will log you into the assigned sub domain

at subdomain.mainsite.ext

Edited by TCH-Don

Thanks Don,

Got half way there! :unsure:

I can access the folder (/public_html/pictures/) using my default username and password as you suggested.

This works: ftp://user:password@domain.ext/public_html/pictures/

The problem remains how to access that particular folder (or subdomain if set up) using an additional ftp account I created with Cpanel.

This is quote from Cpanel "FTP Account Maintenance"

"When logging into the ftp server please use the username exactly as it appears below. If the username includes a "@", make sure to include it when logging in. Example: Use "john@doe.org" and not "john". "

My new ftp account: "child@myserver.com"

and the folder this account has access to: "(/pictures)"

Ftp user: child@myserver.com

pass: password

domain: myserver.com

This does not work:

ftp://child@myserver.com:password@ftp.mys..._html/pictures/

ftp://child@myserver.com:password@ftp.myserver.com

The query may not leave IE browser (5.5) before it pops-up an error. Maybe there is an alternative way to express the ftp username in Cpanel or a way to wrap it?

I came over this problem some time ago and hit the brick wall with it. It would be so nice to have a button to push to upload some pictures to the correct folder. I want to have this button on a protected page. Logging in twice is not my idea of user friendly IF.

Rock Sign Thumbs Up

P.S., Sorry for a confusion. I never got so far as to set up a sub-domain and try this on it. I hit the wall earlier. Its the @ within the ftp-username.

If you set up user.myserver.com as a new subdomain, here's a method for making the FTP access via browser work:

>ftp://user%40myserver.com:password@ftp.myserver.com

The "%40" takes the place of the "@" sign which causes the problem in the browser.