Do You Use Web-safe Colors?

sts

Hey Rob, I guess its better to run with scissors than with some of those wicked looking knives on your site. :D

No I don't always use web-safe colors. Sometime I pick a color because I like it. But I do try to pick one that is close to color-safe,just because of differences in browsers. Atleast The color will be very close.

I don't. With browsers at 16 or 24-bit color depths it becomes moot. Most folks have that now and if not I don't care too much if it's maroon on Macs and burgundy on Pcs. It's close enough for the work I do to be fine in any case.

The reason I asked:

I was picking colors for a page and thought they look good, but then I accidentally :P looked at this tiny window in Photoshop, which was showing that my nice color is going to be nasty yellow. I converted the page to web colors and was horrified really woooot I didn't save it, but it looked something like the attached image :blink:

So I wanted to know if anybody cares about web colors, it's kind of not Stone Age anymore :)

post-25-1079194875_thumb.jpg

I've only started into "freelance" web development (read "developing a web site for someone other than myself"), and generally, I don't use web safe colors. I just pick one that looks good in the layout. However, with the current site I'm working on, I'm doing my best to use web safe colors for the backgrounds. They're not the best, but at least it will look consistent (hopefully) across platforms. For my own personal site, I could care less whether the colors are web safe or not. I consider my personal site for my enjoyment only.

Also, to add another question to the mix...

Is a color generally considered "web-safe" if you can describe it with an RGB value of three digits versus a six digit RGB value (e.g., #123 versus #1a223c)? I don't know where I came up with this assumption, but I got it somewhere, and that's how I've been operating!

:D

I, too, don't worry about websafe colors. My stats, for one, don't indicate that people in older browsers where this is an issue are coming to my site. For another, well, those people need to upgrade. =)

But I am not running a business site. I don't have to impress clients on IE 5 or Netscape 4. If I had to, that would be a different goal and I would have to take it into account.

As it goes though, noone has said to me "oh my god your color scheme is horrid in Netscape 4" so I don't worry about it. =) not sure I would if the problem was only one person, to be honest. Not on a personal site.

Plus, I have several skins, one of them is definitely web safe colors, and I believe 2 are, so people have a lot of choice there....

One thing I *do* check for, is color blindness accessibility, as one of my dearest friends is color blind, and I do that via Visicheck. I have found that to be a very enlightening guide. =)

Kasey, I think the Web Safe set only includes the ones that are divisible by 3 (0,3,6,9,C,F). And as you say, that can be declared with 3 digits as opposed to 6. I don't think #25d would do it, for instance.

From the above site:

Web Safe colors are defined in terms of RGB values of 0, 51, 102, 153, 204, and 255. These numbers might seem a bit random, but are in fact made up of multiples of 51. OK, you say, where does the 51 come from? Well I was asking myself the same question before I discovered that 51 is 20% of 255. (NOTE: As 0 is considered a value, we say 0-255 instead of 1-256). 102 is 40% of 255, and so on. So out of this randomness comes order. Of sorts.