Sign in to follow this  
vmckinney

Flash Movie Stutters

Hi,

I'm trying to teach myself Flash and I've run into a bit of a problem. I've built a simple movie that runs just fine on my machine (P4, 2.8, 1 gig ram, WinXP home)but when I look at it on another machine (P3, 400, 512ram, WinXP pro) it slows down significantly.

The Movie can be found here

It's a pretty small movie, I can't believe it would force any machine to work that hard. The P3 has a pretty crappy video card - an old Voodoo 4 - so I'm wondering if that's what the problem might be. Would someone mind looking at it and let me know what you see? Thanks in advance for your help!

I just looked at it with a P3 500mhz, 256mb ram and it looked fine to me. Not choppy or stuttering. More info, IE6 on Win98

Try changing quality to Auto High in HTML

<param name=quality value=autohigh>

quality=autohigh

and see if it helps

Thanks for the help everyone!

The problem seems to have been the number of alpha adjusted items I had on the screen. Originally each little car consisted of several copies of itself all layered on top of one another and off set by a pixel or 2. I then adjust the alpha on each layer in an attempt to make each car a little blurry. That seems to have put a big load on the processesor and caused the stuttering.

I reduced each litte car to 2 layers, rather than six and that seems to have solved the problem. Unfortunately now all the moving objects are a little crisp in relation to the blurry background. Anyone got a technique for blurring vector art in flash?

I don't think there's a way to "blur" vector art in flash other then how you just mentioned it. Unless you create it in Photoshop with no background, save as a PNG or a GIF (each support transparent backgrounds) and import to flash. Then animate the instance of the car. Don't animate the actual car on the stage, make it a Graphic object (Insert > Convert to Symbol > Graphic). That way the car is blurry because it's an image file. However, this might make the movie size larger cuz u'll be using images.

So in the Library, double-click on the imported file of the car and *opens Flash to double check* you'll get a dialog box: under compression chose Photo/JPEG then un-check "Use imported JPEG data" and enter a value to your liking. The preview and see which value you like. The smaller the number the more file size you save. In that same dialog box, there is a button called Test, when you click on it, it'll show you the original file size of the image and the new "compressed" size.

hope that helps,

!!blue

Edited by !!blue