Still Can't Connect

mike

Well I still can't get the main pc to see the internet.

I tried repairing the network connection under lan or high speed internet

and I get this message:

the following steps of the repair operation failed:

renewing ip address

refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering names

:) :P

What am I missing here?

thanks in adbvance for any help.

I agree with you, Raul, about the system restore.

:) When I run ipconfig everything matches the other machine except the main pc has no ip address and no subnet mask.

I'm thinking that something is blocking something???

aarrrrgghh!

all settings are on autodetect, like always, but they aren't detecting?

port closed or something like that???

I don't recall the details but a tech once had me go to a command prompt and type a command about releasing the ip configuration. This "dos" command did the trick for me. I'm sorry I did not write down the actual command but possibly someone here knows what I mean. I think it was"ipconfig/release" or something similar.

Youneverknow

I actually had a frontiernet.net techie on the phone quite some time yesterday.

we pinged the router ok.

we did the ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

all of them.

nadda.

when i tell it:

ipconfig /renew

i get:

an error occured while renewinginterface local area connection 8: the system cannot find the file specified.

cannot find local area connection 8 ?

my control panel says its there.

something had to go amiss when I installed eztrust over AVG.

but I can't find it to change it back or whatever happened.

the frontiernet techie said he could do no more it was a software thing.

this pc i'm using connects to the router on mine.

did it lock the necessary port or something? and how do I check that.

I'm thinking this cant be that big a deal. but I'm missing something. :)

:)

is there a chance it blew out my nic card????

g'mornin , youneverknow. how are ya?

thanks. yep I tried them. that's why I'm wondering if it's my nic card.

don't seem like it should be. but this pc is going through the router that's hooked to mine and mine won't renew the dhcp. says it doesn't find my network connection local 8. but it's there.

Yes, it's set to ip automatic but comes up empty

the problem pc is the main one. I checked the workgroups and it only lists my pc now. it used to show the "dove hill" workgroup but doesn't now.

could I setup the workgroup again?

why does this pc go through the router anyway? just grabbing the dsl signal?

when I try to view workgroups on this pc it hangs and quits responding

maybe I need to try resetting a workgroup????

Try this if all other suggestions fail...

Sounds like you are getting help from different places and trying several different things. Getting the network up correctly is one of the most frustrating experiences at times and sometimes it best to step aside and take a break and come back with a fresh look.

In the course of troubleshooting things get way out of sync and you get confused on where you are and what you did to get there and where you were when you first started.

After getting into these "rock and a hard place" positions what I do is start from a clean slate. I take a look at the other working computers and make notes on the way the working computers are set up. I note the workgroup name, the IP's and the protocols being used. The DNS's and gateways, sub-net masks and computer name. I then remove it from the network.

I'll uninstall the network card and remove the networking software and be sure to reboot to a stand alone PC. Then I start adding back the network from the beginning. I'll put the card back in and install the software. Once its started you should get to the Networking Wizard which will ask a series of questions. With a simple home network this is usually all thats needed. Windows XP is very good at detecting an setting up home networks and if you're lucky this will be all thats needed.

This is just a suggestion and something I've done thats worked (sometimes). But I am a certified Network Admin, I went to school and passed exams and have done this many times so it does bother me and I can do it in my sleep. If you don't feel comfortable don't try it :).

thanks guys. I think I will try a new workgroup setup and then I'll do the madman suggestion.

I have to leave this delema and go to an appointment.

However, I shall "joyfully" resume the challenge.

:)

why does this pc go through the router anyway? just grabbing the dsl signal?
don't seem like it should be. but this pc is going through the router that's hooked to mine and mine won't renew the dhcp. says it doesn't find my network connection local 8. but it's there

I am a bit confused on how you have your network setup to work. Normally everything in your network will be connected to the Router and the router will be the one controlling the DHCP. The cable modem is connected to the WAN port of the router and all PC's connected to the router will then have internet access.

If you have your "main" PC as you call it configured to be the DHCP this maybe one of your problems. The router should do this and you have a conflict.

just home for a sec.

thanks madman.

yes the dsl modem is hooked into the router and I have 3 lines going out to different rooms. ( actually with just the two pcs plugged in at the time )

these two pcs share some files back and forth and all has been fine for a couple years until I installed the ez trust firewall and antivirus to try them and didn't uninstall AVG. now I have used control panel add/remove progs to take ez back off but now cant get an ipconfig to get online. this pc also doesn't see the workgroup

hey, Madman. I just got back from day job.

Madman. I think your idea to reinstall the network may be the only answer.

ipconfig won't renew so where else could I go but redo the network.

Can you tell me what I need to take out?

This was my first home network and I don't know if that means I have to do anything with the other pc or not and I can't do it tonite because the wife has to file some efiles for tax clients tonite.

I don't seem to find where I would remove workgroups etc ( still lookin' ) but it seems I should remove them?

thanks in advance.

Rock Sign

Sorry, madman. I just went back and read your other post, which pretty much tells me what to do.

Should have reread that before. I just wanted to touch base with this post because all of your fantastic TCH family have been great helping me through this. I have been gone for last two days until real late.

THANKS. I'll let you now what I blow up? :blink: :lol:

Rock Sign Rock Sign Rock Sign

Lets check a few things first, maybe the firewall turned on the XP firewall and that whats blocking everything.

Start Control Panel and Doubleclick on Network Connections, in here highlight your Local Area Connection, right click and select Properties.

click on the Advanced tab and see if the checkbox for Internet Connection Firewall is checked.

If it is remove it and OK out. Then reboot and see if you can access the internet or see your network.

Now while in the Network Connection area what was listed in there? Is there more than one connection listed?

just one connection

firewall is off.

When I look at the workgroup I only see my pc now instead of mine and my wifes.

From hers It just sees itself also.

Other things to check

Check your Workgroup name:

Control Panel and doubleclick on System

Click on the Computer Name tab

make sure your correct Workgroup is listed in there. If not click the change button to correct it.

Check the network card: aslo under System above:

click on the Hardware tab

click on th Device Manager button

click the "+" next to Network adapters and expand the list

right click on your network cardand select properties

make sure it says "This device is working properly."

Yep. All that's good. workgroup name, device working.

no. I just get page not displayed

When I tell it to Detect Network Settings it says there are none available. :blink:

The light is on at the nic card but I think there's nobody home? :blink:

:rolleyes: Yep. I just tried another nic card. I have the same problem.

ipconfig renew gets nothing. Device mgr says this card is working properly also.

:(

It's like something is stopping any access to the router or something. I don't know why I can't ping or anything else or why the lan settings don't detect?

when I type:

ipconfig /renew

I get:

an error occurred whil renewing local area connection10: the system cannot find the file specified.

Question:

What file?

Update to the infamous "no-ip / dchp delemna"

Now have switched nic cards.

no luck.

ran winsock repair program.

no luck.

ain't givin' up either.

:rolleyes:

Well I reinstalled ALL the protocols with no luck.

Hate to do a reinstall of xp.

Would that have to be a clean install?

I put in every address manually. IP, subnet,default gateway, preferred dns server.

all of them.

Now it WORKS.

HMMMMMM. Still bothers me that it won't do it on autodetect.

Anyway, it IS working and I would like to thank all of you that spewed forth all the help. I truly appreciate it.

TCH Family truly is the best. Rock Sign :D

Hey mike, good job and glad you got it up. Microsoft is a bear sometimes (well most of the time) and no matter what you do it just won't seem to work. I've gone as far as formating the hard drive to get it to work only to fail...then one minor change like manually entering the IP and bingo, it starts working. Go figure.

Next time it will be different :D

I know. And you know, early on I put them in manually and it didn't work.

But I went thru so much stuff that I may not have added preferred dns address or something.

"Go figure" is exactly right. :D

But she's up and cruisin' again.

thanks for all your help madman. I owe ya a cold one.

Thumbs Up

I do have a bit of a question, and one that is often overlooked.

In the router's configuration, what is the number of DHCP clients allowed? By default it is set to be something like 5, but you might have changed it at some point. If there are not enough clients availabe, then you will not be able to get the IP addy you need.

If you reinstall the OS, it does not need to be a clean install, just a repair. I am trying to find the notes I used to have for DHCP in XP. I know they are around here somewhere.

-Glenn

I see this problem every day (sorry I didn't respond earlier)

That error is caused by your DHCP Client service being disabled/turned off..

sometimes you can simply go to

start/run and type services.msc and look for the dhcp client in that list, and turn it back on.. but sometimes it wont turn back on without a fight..

if it wont come back on here is a fix (note.. it mentions uninstalling nav as the problem.. but this is the same problem you have)

http://www.bl.com/moshe/text/quiddities/norton_errors.html

good luck ;)

Glenn - I don't even see where to access any router config. It's a Blitzz Netcruiser BRT 200. 4 lines of which I use 3.

Larry - Thanks, I will check that link out. I believe I would rather have the autodetect playing than the way it is. althought it's working fine.

THANKS

Rock Sign

Thanks Larry. Looks real good to me. Have to leave now :( but will execute this process upon my return and let you know.

I wish you'd have seen this post earlier too.

( good practice fishin' about tho' )

:P Thumbs Up