Cannot Connect

mike

Ok. I installed eztrust antivirus to try it. also it's firewall.

I have xp home and my wife's pc gets the internet via my router and dsl.

Right away I began having problems with connection after installing ez progs.

I uninstalled them.

Now I cant get on the internet and I cannot access my wifes pc from mine any longer either. It no longer shows me workgroup computers

However, as we see here, I can access the internet with hers.

Any suggestions? :shutup: :shutup:

Also, when AVG tries to run all I get is:

driver (core) not found winerr=2

Mike, XP comes with a System Restore that you can use to restore your computer back to a point before the install.

Click on START

Click on PROGRAMS

Click on ACCESSORIES

Click on SYSTEM TOOLS

Click on SYSTEM RESTORE

select the restore to a previous point

from the calander select a day or restore point that was before you installed

See if that gets you back up on the Internet

I found that my firewall ( zone alarm) needed to add a trusted site. You need to give permission in the firewall to include the routers ip 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2and 192.168.0.3

after I did this my network of 2 computers could now see each others drives and folders. The router you have will act a a firewall in itself. Maybe this will work for you.

youneverknow

You have to allow certain programs to access the internet and you have to add your network as a trusted network.

Yes, at first I was going to suggest he configure it to allow access but he said he had uninstalled the program and was coming up with another error. Without the program running he couldn't configure it. I took the easier route and was going to get the system back to where he was before the install. Then we could suggest he start over and this time configue it correctly ;)

I'm not putting blame on one program or the other Mike, just explaining why I was restoring the system instead of configuring the router or the firewall. If any program is at fault its Microsoft ;).

Based on the info supplied "I" thought it best to go back to the starting point because of the new errors encountered and then go forward. There were probably some conflicts between the two antivirus programs and they possibly had a shared .dll. When the new one was removed it took away that shared .dll causing the error. A restore would correct this.

A restore would also correct the connection problem more than likely. At this point I don't know why he could not connect since the firewall was removed, blockage should have been removed and access to the internet and the network should have been restored.

Guess I'll wait to see what the other Mike has for us later.

Hey thanks you guys. I have been completely down since that post.

I had system restore turned off to get a trojan and didn't have it back on yet. ;)

Now I have the dsl bypassing my pc and the router straight into the other workstation. And it's working.

But the dsl directly into main pc won't connect.

Even when I put ip address in manually.

Madman, youneverknow, and tch mike..............thanks.

I think Mike is right about the 2 antiviruses, and eztrust DID have me uninstall norton first, which I did and tried the install again.

It didn't care about AVG and installed.

I had been running avg and norton together for a year.

Anyway I have to head out for now but looks like its not getting an ip address or something.

Rock Sign

mike, I'd leave system restore turned off, if I were you.

It's just the perfect thing to grab a system file which has been infected with a virus and store it in archive. Later, when you want to restore your system, hello again, virus! ;)