Verisign Is Trying To Get A Monopoly

ThumpAZ

Disclaimer: My views, opinions and suggestions do not necessarily reflect those of TotalChoice Hosting or its agents.

Verisign is trying to create a monopoly for themselves by being the only company allowed to hold the registry for .com and .net registrations. This means that all companies will have to resell for them, instead of being able to possibly go up a channel to ICANN (Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers) directly. However, the actual registration info is distributed among approved registrars, creating a distributed risk. Verisign's route will creat a single point of failure.

ICANN is a non-profit organization which was developed to oversee the registration for domain names and their associated Internet Numbers.

If you feel so moved, please sign the petition to stop Verisign from positioning themselves for pure financial gain, creating a monopoly and possibly even being able to go so far as to censor the Internet by privatizing the largest group of TLDs (Threee Letter Domain) out there.

The Petition

-GG

I signed and added my two cents (via a comment) to the petition, as well. I certainly hope this does some good. Monopolies are extremely dangerous to a healthy free market economy. We don't need no stinking monopolies!!! Yuck! Imagine what we'd have to pay for TLDs if VeriSign were able to pull off this coup. Mad!!!

Thank you all for taking the time to sign your name on the dotted line.

Feel freee to pass this along to anyone you know who might be able to understand what is happening so they, too, can get involved.

-Glenn

Went to sign it - clicked the link provided (Using Safari) and got this:

Safari can't verify the identity of the website "www.recallverisign.com".

The certificate for this website is invalid. You might be connecting to a website that is pretending to be “www.recallverisign.com” which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the website anyway?

Then I opened it with IE 5.2.3 for Mac, and no problem reported. Any ideas?

I'd like to post a link on my blog. Thanx!

William

Bell,

Many times, especially in this day and age, online polling sites use IP verification. If you sign the petition, it tracks you via certain methods and will not allow someone with the same IP address to sign it again.

I can understand your aprehensions, though.

William,

The reason for this is that it may be on a shared-type server, and the SSL certificate on the server does not match that domain name. A simple whois search has led me to be pretty sure that this is the situation. The security level you are using in Safari is checking for certificate authenticity, and cannot verify it.

-Glenn