What More Can I Do?

Adamski

Ok, im getting more and more frustrated trying to get listed (indexed) in google. The front page got indexed one day after the site went live, yet its been what, 3 weeks and googlebot goes no further than my front page.

Ive followed Scotts advice as far as seo goes, and have got listed in dmoz, zeal and looksmart. I have links from pr 5 and 6 sites (Thanking you Robert) and the listing in Dmoz (pr5).

Im guessing its just a matter of waiting. Any tips for getting spidered?

Adam

I agree with Mike. More inbound links give Google more ways to get to you and a better chance of a deep crawl (which is when it visits every page). Otherwise, if they hit your front page then you have to believe they will eventually get to it but the wait is always painful.

Do not resubmit your page to Google. That will only bump you to the bottom of the list and they may see you as a spammer which would be way bad.

As far as I know, other than that, just wait.

Adam:

You are sitting just fine. As Mike and Jim suggest... be patient.

You have been officially crawled by Google but you are not officially indexed. You do have 3 backlinks recorded thus far and it looks like Google visited you again yesterday (3/07/04)... did you look to see how deep googlebot crawled?

Again, you are seating exactly where you want to be. Still work on acquiring backlinks in the interim and wait to see how Google indexes you.

Good luck ;)

Hi Adam! :)

I will just add my voice to the chorus -- you are doing everything right (better than 95% of folks with month-old websites). ;)

It can be hard to just sit and wait.... and wait.... and wait. With everything else on the internet moving at lightning speed, it is quite an adjustment to wait for months. But that is what it takes and there isn't anything you can do, above gathering inbound links, submitting to directories and the like. Google has billlions of pages to crawl and the simple fact is that you never know when they'll get around to your site.

If you are already listed on DMOZ, congratulations. I am constantly bombarded with "it's been 4 months and DMOZ still hasn't listed me!" messages.

Hang in there!

...dave

On the right track it looks like. Congrats on the DMOZ listing, I have NEVER been able to get a site listed there (been trying for years) or get an application approved to be an editor.

It can take forever to get fully googled, sounds like you are well on your way!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was just a matter of time Adam... good job Thumbs Up

One thing that I noticed Adam, all your Title tags and Meta Description tags are the same:

<TITLE>All About Panic - Information on Panic Attack and Anxiety</TITLE>

<meta name="description" content="Panic attack and anxiety resource for sufferers of panic disorders">

These should be unique (and specific) for every page on your site.

Please forgive my naivete', but this post is my first step into optimizing web pages for search engines. Will someone please tell me what DMOZ means?

To be quite honest, the topic seems a bit convoluted and confusing right now, but I know that with time, I'll have a good basic grasp of search engine thinking! I guess it really is true, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

The ODP is also known as DMOZ, an acronym for Directory Mozilla. This name reflects its loose association with Netscape's Mozilla project, an Open Source browser initiative. The ODP was developed in the spirit of Open Source, where development and maintenance are done by net-citizens, and results are made freely available for all net-citizens.

http://dmoz.org/help/geninfo.html#mean

:)

(At least thats how they tell it - and it *did* used to be that way... but its gone downhill)

Thanks for the link, snipe! I've bookmarked it and am printing different selections so I can read them even when I'm away from my computer.

:)