Develope Site Offline Before Ordering Tch Service

foggysps

Hi I am new web developement and have been doing most of my testings locally. My question is will my current configuration integrate seamlessy when I order TCH service and upload all my files. I know that is such a generalized and vague question. But if anyone can give me a few pointers it would be very helpful. Will I need to make any changes?

Basically here is what I did locally:

Installed and running: Apache 2.0.48 on my E: with Win2k as my OS

PHP 4.3.4 on my E:

MySQL 4.0.18

OSCommerce 2.2ms2

It seems that TCH is running: Apache 1.3.29

PHP 4.3.3

MySQL ?.?.?

OSCommerce ?.?

I'm sure that is not the only setup TCH is running considering I pulled that info off of the TCH Web Hosting Plans page and they have about a bazillion servers and from what I have been seeing, hearing and researching...they do ROCK! That's why TCH will be my Host of choice out of all the hundreds of thousands hosts out there. I just want to make sure I setup my local as close as possible future host TCH so I do not encounter to many unexpected problems.

Thanks so much,

John

foggysps,

I do NOT work for TCH, so you do not have to take my advice if you do not want to.

will my current configuration integrate seamlessy when I order TCH service and upload all my files.

I am not sure if I understand what your asking, but when you upload the files, solong as TCH supports what type of files, and types of scripting language they are, I would think that it would go great for you.

I have been with TCH for almost 3 months now, and I have enjoyed every second of it. I have had very few problems, and when I did stumble upon something, It did not take long to get help for it.

Someone will be along shortly to put the "Staff" words into the picture. And to explain better for you.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

And just remember, if your not happy withen the first 30 days of your service, TCH will refund your money!

And may I be the first to say "Welcome Home!" if you do decide to move into our friendly city in cyberspace! :dance:

:dance: Welcome to the family, foggysps! :dance:

As long as you haven't coded anything in your scripts or web pages that reference absolute paths (i.e.: C:, D:, E:...) you should be able to upload your site and it will work as it does in your environment.

Edited by TCH-Bruce

Thumbs Up :dance: Welcome to the Family !! :dance: Thumbs Up

One of the things you can do is to go ahead and setup the hosting account and test and tweak there before pointing the DNS information. That is assuming you plan to promote your site or expect that traffic will be immediate.

Other than that, what has been stated above is pretty well right on... your Db's should do fine and lack of absolute links will allow you to transfer easily.

One way to really put the site to the test is to name your Win2K machine to the name you plan to use for your website and then instruct your machine to insert this name in DNS (you can setup a DNS server locally on your machine so it will appear that you are online). This will allow you to test it on the local host under Apache and almost completely emulate the site as it would sit on the TCH servers. This will not, though, account for those nasty absolute links.

Edited by TCH-Glenn