Pages With Pictures

bellringr

I need some advice please. I'm going to be adding alot of vacation pictures to my website soon, and I don't want to have to create thirty pages of 4-5 pics each, yet putting a large number of thumbnails on a page can be cumbersome for some dial-up users in my family.

What would be a good (yet simple for this noob) way to show a large number of pictures or thumbs w/links with minimal load time?

bellringr,

I was up against the same thing. My website is 'photo intensive' and most of my relatives are on dial-up. Since we are all spread out so far apart, photos are very important to us but I am on cable internet and everything loads for me with lightning speed. I have to remember to make my website useful to the other members of my family.

I am not qualified to advise, but I can show/tell you what I did with mine.

I divided my pics up into 'Albums'. For example, since I had 100+ photos of my new grandson, I separated them into 'Albums' entitled 'Newborn', 'His First 6 Months', 'His Second 6 Months', 'His First Christmas', and 'His First Birthday'.

Using a little inexpensive program called Thumbnailer, (I also have Irfanview that does the same thing for free) I created a limited thumbnail page that references the html pages also created by Thumbnailer for the full-sized images. The thumbnails created by the program are only 2-4kb in size so I was able to create thumbnail pages that are reasonable in size for my dial-up visitors. The thumbnails created are 100x100, large enough for my visitors to decide which pics they'd like to see full-sized. They load very nicely for my dial-up family.

Is there some way you can divvy up your vacation pictures like this, thus creating smaller thumbnail pages and yet giving them a good idea of your photos before they move on to the full size images?

If you want to see what I've done, go to http://brich.us/blake.html

I also have http://brich.us/photogallery.html

I do all my own html coding but I'm sure others will have viable recommendations. :(

Have a look at my photo gallery -- http://www.ryanmast.com/mycrazyfriends

Image compression is NOT bad. :goof: My pictures are generally pretty small and well-compressed, but you can still see what's going on. A problem that some new web designers have is that they are a too afraid of compression. The human eye can fill in the details where the actual image leaves off.

As far as putting the page together goes, I just dragged and dropped the images from the folder into Claris HomePage. Works fine. Probably not the most efficient way to do it, but it works. :)

-Ryan

I use Arles a lot to create thumbnails when I need them. It will also create HTML pages with the thumbs and links to the full sized images with the back and forward arrows, drop down boxes to page jump, add watermarks, resize the original images, lets you specify thumbnail size etc etc.

http://digitaldutch.com/

Ya what he said!

Makes it real easy to thumbnail a ton of images, one set up you can really just point and shoot for antire CD of images

• 4 weeks later...

What is Arles? When I create thumbnails, I've always just taken the full size picture, resized it to either 50% or 25%, then done a crop on the most interesting part of the picture to create an image that's whatever size I want for my thumbnails.

Some of these software packages that create thumbnails for you sound quite interesting. I'm curious to hear about the various packages available and the pros/cons of each.

:goof:

Thanks for the links, folks! I'm gonna check them out :goof:

• 2 weeks later...

Another option:

If you are using Dreamweaver MX or MX2004, and Fireworks, try the Web Photo Album 2.2 extension. The Macromedia exchange has it there as a free download. I found it to be very useful, and not hard to customize to fit the look you need.