Website Search Engine Submission

WhateverJames

When I try to submit my website to search engines through cpanel, I get this message when I click on "Click here for results". Here are some examples.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 02:06:15 GMT

Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) PHP/4.2.3-atw

Set-Cookie: atw-uid=CgVSBj5RlRcAAFB/AwVxAg==; path=/; domain=.alltheweb.com; expires=Sun, 17-Feb-13 14:06:15 GMT

X-Powered-By: PHP/4.2.3-atw

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Content-Type: text/html

dda

Object Moved

This object may be found here.

HTTP/1.1 302 Object moved

Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 02:07:15 GMT

Connection: close

Content-Length: 160

Cache-control: private

HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found

Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 02:05:34 GMT

Connection: close

Content-Length: 4040

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

:D I guess the pages that each of the search engine people made are outdated? Should I go to each of these search engines' websites and submit my site to each of them manually?

That's who I used to use, they are really good! My old site still gets nearly 400 hits a day thanks to dmoz.org. I tried updating all of my page URLs on dmoz, but they still haven't changed them on their end. It's been over a month. I know it takes a while before it gets to the search engines, but they haven't even updated the URLs in their own database yet :D

So did you get those messages as well, when you submitted your site through the Cpanel?

WhateverJames:

A month for dmoz is not too long. Remember that real people (volunteers) review all the sites, this process is quite slow but I think worth it in that it is discriminating and thus creates a selective directory. This is why google puts so much weight on a dmoz link, because it is so selective.

One thing to keep in mind, if you are confident that you submitted the site accurately to dmoz, do not resubmit. They work on the first in, first out principal. If you resubmit, you will bump your request to the bottom of your category queue and have to start the clock all over again.

It is also worth noting that certain editors (the volunteers) have unbelievable workloads (the more competitive categories). If you fall under one of the competitive categories, it will obviously take longer to get included. There is also, variation in the number of sites each editor reviews in a given period. Some are slow and some are fast.

Bottom line ... be patient.

Good luck,

D. Scott

If Google really relies on them, and Google is one of the best search engines, I will be patient (as if I had a choice :P ) It took about three or four weeks to get to the major search engines, when I initially submitted my old website to dmoz (in 2001). So, I was thinking it shouldn't take a month to update the URL of an already reviewed website. But, I'm wrong. And they are probably getting a lot more submissions to do since then. I didn't realize they had that much work to do. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I am listed luckily cuz I was listed before with my geocities account, and I had a domain before this one, and this one was just transfered over through yahoo! I am very searchable now. With no meta-tags I have getting hits from my content.

A little about what I've learned in regards to search engine submissions.

When choosing keywords for your website, try to choose 2, 3, or 4 word phrases. The competition on a single keyword like "music" is ridiculous and your time is best spent on the latter. Your strongest keywords should be towards the top of your pages.

META TAGS -Use Them! Your title tags should include your keywords. Your description should also include your keywords.

FRAMED sites traditionally do not index as well as NON-FRAMED websites. If your site is already designed and is FRAMED, perhaps a link to the NON-FRAMED version would work.

Link to as many quality sites as possible. Non only do search engines put weight into the quality of links, but you can make a lot of friends out there.

Emailing high ranking sites and requesting a link exchange can really pay off.

DEAD LINKS - Most search engines will spider a site and follow all of the links. A DEAD LINK can result in a lower search engine ranking.

Get every page of your site added to the search engines. How - Use a different <TITLE> tag in your META TAG.

Use Text Links instead of images. Yes, they do look nice, but search engines don't know what to do with them.

On all of your images on your site, utilize the ALT Tag. <alt="enter your keywords or phrases here"> These do help.

In regards to search engine submission companies. Look for companies that review your site prior to submitting. They can make suggestions - and focus on your success not your money.

The most successful sites were submitted over time, little by little and about every 6 weeks.

Well, I hope this helps someone . . . Best of Luck!

Yann

www.beadded.com

Certainly good advice...I would like to add some additional thoughts.

While adding Meta Tags will help for some search engines, they do nothing for google. Make sure you design your site so that search engines not using meta-tags are still able to search your site. You should be careful about how many outgoing links you provide. Google primarily uses incoming links to give your site a PR. The higher the PR of the site linking to you, the bigger impact it will have on your PR. Every outgoing link you have, offers the visitor another chance to leave your site. Do you really want to show them the way out of your site hundreds of times? You want to keep them there, especially if your site is ecommerce based. Google also has difficulty with javascript links. Although the new menus are impressive and easy to use, make sure you have a backup navigation such as text links and a sitemap.

Finally, as a DMOZ volunteer, I can assure you the process, although lengthy, is worth it!