Well, I've recently researched a certain subject: whether or not to turn off your computer when not in use or leave it on.

I've posted about it here. Go read about it. There are a few linked articles in there to assist your reading.

You'll find that I lost my C:\ drive's file system because of trying to find an auto-shutdown program for WinAmp. Anyway, after resaerching it all, I think I'm leaving my computer on all the time but will have the monitor shut off...

I read your post on OMGN. The first thing I thought about was why didn't you use an automated task to do that? It's really not that hard to update and enable a task once you have it setup. I don't think the task scheduler works with command line switches very good, so create a batch file and run the batch file to shutdown your computer. Hell, that 3rd part app could have just been a nasty lil' ViRii.. who knows..

sleep.bat

----------------

c:\windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0

or actually you could make a link to this batch file on your desktop and not even use a scheduled task.. Just load up and play winAmp, then click a shortcut that links to a batch file with...

c:\windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 1800

That would set you up for 30 minutes, and your system WILL shutdown properly because it is initiated from windows shutdown utility.

And just to top it all off... Let's say that you happen to not want to shutdown your computer after you initiated the 30 minute sequence..

Just run "shutdown -a" to abort the countdown.

I happen to have two icons on my desktop. One to reboot, the other to shutdown.

This isn't my computer or else I'd be having it on all the time.

Just make sure you have a automatic shut-down Uninteruptable Power Supply, firewall and virus software if you're on broadband. Don't want anything nasty to happen while you're away from the keyboard.

I have seen the discussion often in the past and the engineers usually say something about heat-cold cycles cracking the motherboard and everyone else saying that there's no reason to leave it on.

It's like the argument "Should I leave my AC on when I'm not home because cooling a totally hot home costs so much it's cheaper to leave it on all day." The answer depends on how well insulated your home is.

In this case, HG is exactly right, what's the environment of the PC.

I've posted about it here. Go read about it. There are a few linked articles in there to assist your reading.

I think something's still screwy with your hotlinking. I go into an endless redirection loop when I click on that link. Works if I cut and paste it though.

My windows (gaming) PC I shutdown whenever I'm not using it for 2 reasons besides the fact I only use it for games.... First, I'm a little worried about overheating (lot of higher end heat generators in there)... and second, it kinda sounds like a mini-jet engine when it's on with so many fans in it. :huh:

My mac I don't worry about that much, but I usually just put it into sleep mode when I'm not using it (it's a notebook).

All three of my PC's (soon to be 5 muahahahahahaha) run 24/7, I turn my monitors off at night thats about it. My main rig is also my gaming rig, its overclocked like mad but heat isnt an issue, as far as noise goes...I couldnt sleep if i couldnt hear my pc.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with TCH-MIKE

Mine both stay on all the time. 24/7 :P

Wow, I'm not quite sure how I never saw the replies in here!

My system is basically in use a lot. If I'm home, I'm probably on it for some reason or other. I have music on as I go to sleep off of WinAmp because it helps me get to sleep. The DJs and commercials on the radio keep me up.

Anyway, in regards to the Hotlinking issues with circular redirecting, that was fixed in another thread.

Bruce, you read all those articles? They made it difficult for me to make a decision, haha...

I'm with you Mike. When my computer was down a few weeks ago, I had a tough time sleeping without hearing the fans going!

Bruce, you read all those articles? They made it difficult for me to make a decision, haha...

Yeah, I read them. I still turn my home machines off at night. At work I leave them run 24/7.

I really don't think it matters one way or the other. And those pages haven't convinced me either way. :P

I, ahem...have my computer in the bedroom that my girlfriend and I share. She can't sleep with the sound of the CPU fan, mixed with the occasional hard drive whirring and grinding all night. Myself, I feel somehow...comforted by them. :P I think it comes from my days of computer programming classes, when I would have to awaken at 4:00 AM to finish a programming project that was due that morning.

I leave my home PC running all day (on the days I am home to use it), but set the monitor to use screensaver mode after 15 minutes, then power down after 1 hour of inactivity. Out of respect for my girlfriend, I turn the PC off every night. When we move to a bigger home I will probably leave the PC on most of the time, with the occasional reboot.

By the way, there is a really fun book by Linus Torvalds, "Just For Fun: The Story Of An Accidental Revolutionary", in which he describes the period during which he created the operating system Linux. I love the passage where he describes living in a tiny room with his computer running beside his bed.

peace,

Stefan