Live Cd List

ztrauq

Knoppix-Based Live CD List

This is a (mostly) comprehensive list of all available distributiions of live-CD Linux operating systems, which can be sorted by name, size, and primary application set.

If you've never heard of this before, a live CD is a CD that boots a fully-functional operating system, loading everything from the CD and RAM without touching your hard drive at all. These CDs let you try a variety of different types of Linux operating systems without having to do any lengthy installs or reconfigurations that could mess up your current installation. Using compression, over 2 GB of software can be loaded and run from a single CD, and many of these CDs have a full suite of programs covering a wide variety of uses (games, multimedia, internet, office, utility, etc.). Many of them can also be used as emergency disks to recover from and troubleshoot computer errors.

The ones that I use the most are the original Knoppix, Morphix, and MandrakeMove.

Slax looks really nice, too! And it fits in an 8cm CD-ROM! :dance:

It's *really* fast, compared to all the other LiveCD distros I've seen. Too bad it doesn't go directly to a graphical interface - it would be good to demonstrate Linux to people that are affraid of consoles - but some people like it that way (sometimes even myself).

Now if only they'd make two versions... keep the current one (hey, having a full operating system with all the bells and whistles in an 8 cm CD looks pretty darn cool if you're going to demonstrate it to someone! :D) and make a second version, with more programs, like OpenOffice and some other stuff...

By the way, you can learn how to make your own Linux Live-CD here:

http://www.linux-live.org/

Edited by TCH-Raul

Ok, dumb question coming........

I got curious about this so I ordered Knoppix 3.3 (2003-11-19) and started to check it out. I read the openning pages and then all my fun came to an abrupt end. B)

How do I open it?? What program or application??

I'm afraid to guess ( from command line? )because something terrible will happen I'm sure.

TIA :huh:

Ty, let me ask you a question, first: why didn't you downloaded it? It's free... :)

About your question, the answer is: you don't. :P

Knoppix (and ll other Linux distributions) is not an application nor a file that you would open with Adobe Photoshop or Microsoft Powerpoint.

It's a full Operating System, just like Microsoft Windows. That means you can use it on a computer that doesn't even have Windows installed. Think of it as a replacement to Windows :dance:

To make it work, you'll have to set up your computer to boot from the CD-ROM drive. You have to access your computer BIOS setup and change the boot device option. Can't tell you exactly how to do it because it differs from system to system. Shouldn't be too hard though and if you can't do it, you can always look at the manual.

After that, you just insert the CD-ROM in the drive and turn the computer on. It will boot from the CD and load Knoppix. :dance:

I need to go there and look around, this way the wife can have her windows and I can have my op system.

I would just buy a second harddrive for your computer and put Linux in it. That way you can just switch the boot order in BIOS when you want to switch OS's. Plus you don't have to worry about file system issues.

I have a second drive, I have 2 160G drives on my machine.

The other problem is I cant have the windows machine shut down for more than an hour or so. My wife gets over 1000 email a day and her mailbox bounces if I dont get windows back to its normal state in short order.

I need a new computer, but no job = no computer.

In time :(

Edited by TCH-Rob