Sign in to follow this  
bytesurfer

Subdomain Redircting

Hi,

Can I create a subdomain, mysubd1.****, and redirect it to another ip address that is outside of TC? I would like to redirect the subdomain to my DSL network at home.

If so, what would I have to do for a static ip vs a dynamic ip. I have a dynamic ip now.

Thanks.

Martin

Greetings Martin,

I am Alan, I do not work for TCH, but I am a Customer here.

Can I create a subdomain, mysubd1.****, and redirect it to another ip address that is outside of TC? I would like to redirect the subdomain to my DSL network at home.
I would think so, as you can use subdomains for anything you want, solong as it is legal.

If so, what would I have to do for a static ip vs a dynamic ip. I have a dynamic ip now.

I think a Dynamic IP changes every time you connect/reconnect to the internet, therefore you would need a static IP address ( Which stays the same ) but is also more costly, to be able to link something to that IP address.

-------------------

Someone with more of a professional look will be coming shortly, (someone who works for TCH)and knows more about your questions.

-------------------

Hope this helps you!

-Alan

Can I create a subdomain, mysubd1.****, and redirect it to another ip address that is outside of TC?  I would like to redirect the subdomain to my DSL network at home. 

(I'm also not TCH staff)... If you have a regular, not a reseller, account you'll have to submit a help desk ticket to have TCH add the IP address, but they have been allowing that in the past. You can't do it through cpanel.

If so, what would I have to do for a static ip vs a dynamic ip.  I have a dynamic ip now.

Your IP address at TCH is static. The dynamic IP address of your home DSL is a function of your DSL provider. You will need to contact whoever you get your DSL service from to ask them about the possibility of getting a static ip address. Some DSL providers provide residential static addresses but usually at an additional cost.

If you can't get a static IP address, you could look at options like DynDNS.org.

Yah,

So I was partly correct?

Hehe, I feel sooo helpful :)

Hehe :)

Here's a good read for you (and a service that I use, btw):

DynamicDNS from ChangeIP

(no static ip's required.) If this sounds like something you're interested in, please PM me.)

Edited by TCH-Lianna