Sign in to follow this  
Deverill

Using Quotes In Keywords

My site has the following for the keywords metatag because I'm trying to focus for awhile instead of diluting my effectiveness:

>   <meta name="keywords" content="Key West fishing">

When I search Google for Key West fishing I'm not in the top 500 pages returned. When I search on "Key West fishing" (with the quotes) I am at position 234. What gives?

More importantly, is there anything this tells me that I can take advantage of? Should my keywords be "key west, fishing" instead? I'm trying to figure this stuff out and Google has me stumped. I'm number 6 on Altavista for the same search term... I am getting more hits from MSN (where I am 23) than Google. Yet on Google I can't be found. Ideas appreciated - otherwise I'm thowing in $20.00 to the "blow up Google" fund!

Jim...I'm guessing here, but I don't think that the keywords in your meta tag need to have the quotes. My understanding is that searching for key west fishing in google will bring up sites that contain those three words, but not necessarily those three words together...which would be "key west fishing". Your site is obviously more optimized for the three words together, whereas, many other sites simply contain those words in some form or fashion.

In your keywords...key,west,fishing would be geared toward the search in google without quotes. Whereas key west fishing, not seperated by commas, would be geared toward the person who searches google with "key west fishing".

Does all that make sense? I've never been told I'm correct in this understanding, so, Scott...if you're out there, feel free to correct me.

Hopefully the above doesn't sound like a lot of babble...kind of felt that way! :dance:

Tracy is exactly correct when she says:

In your keywords...key,west,fishing would be geared toward the search in Google without quotes. Whereas key west fishing, not separated by commas, would be geared toward the person who searches Google with "key west fishing".

The meta keyword tag has a very small affect on Google rank. Not to say do not use it, other search engines do put greater emphasis on the tag but 'other' areas are more important with regard to Google and rank.

When you enter words into Google's search box (e.g. key west fishing), Google returns what it thinks are the most relevant pages that contain all of the words within the search query (including all variations for those words [i.e. stemming]). When you enter a quoted phrase (e.g. "key west fishing"), Google returns the most relevant pages that contain that exact phrase (in the exact order and no stemming).

Hope this helps explain what you are seeing.