Where To Post?

Madmanmcp

Ok, I would like to toss this out again to be discussed. Where oh where do we post our notes.

I have noticed multiple times people starting their posts with a comment stating "I don't know if this is the right forum..." or "if this is not the right forum...".

I just went thru the same futile attempt to post a question and went up and down the Forum list to try and determine where the proper place for my question would be. Well after 5 minutes I gave up, there was no Forum that I could see where my question would be fitting to post. Has anyone else had this problem?

It was a simple question and it was not affecting my web sites. I received an email saying someone started a new topic and I could go read it and gave the link here. It said if I wished to unsubscribe it gave me directions. I have not subscribed to this topic nor have I subscribed to ANY topic and I said no to receiving emails when I set this board up. Why did I get this and why doesn't the instruction to remove work :goof:.

So I came to the Board with this question for a change (my first question, all I usually do is help) and I went up and down the forum list several times looking for the proper place to post my question. Email...nope, can't find any email, sqmail...nope, I don't know where to post it.

Sorry TCH, I don't want to offend or insult anyone there but I believe the boards here need to be reworked and the forums and Topics named a little better and new ones added. For example, the Forums have "TotalChoice Hosting" in them and it shows multiple times. This one that I am writing in shows as "TotalChoice Hosting Family Forums -> TotalChoice Hosting Family -> Open Discussion". You do not need all the TCH's everywhere. This board is for TCH so its assumed its about TCH and really doesn't need to be in all those places

Again, I am not trying to offend you guys, I just want to help and help others get the help they need easier and faster.

The multiple TotalChoice Hostings are there on purpose, SEO reasons. Not only is this forums here to be helpful to our members, but it is also a HUGE HUGE marketing tool. Google indexes every single thread on these forums that is open to the public. If someone does a google search for .htaccess, or gallery or something that really isnt related to TCH, chances are that a TCH forum post will come up in that search.

We cant have a forum for every type of question or topic, if we do before to long the forums would be way out of control.

For questions about a feature of IPB working or not working, the help section of the forum software is where I would start, then maybe IPB's forums (although they have removed the members helping members section) Nothing on the server end of the forums has been changed, and we dont subscribe member tos forums by default. What was the forum and thread you got the message from and I'll look into it.

Again, I am not trying to offend you guys, I just want to help and help others get the help they need easier and faster.

No offense taken, we enjoy and encourage suggestions, thoughts and critique. As Mike clearly stated we may have other objectives in certain wording.

The popularity and content growth within these forums dictates that we constantly adjust and alter them in order for them to become more useful to all family members. Your particular comments are well noted.

[A lot of the existing structured order (organization; i.e. usefulness) came from Mike Thumbs Up ]

Hi Mike, the email I received is:

Subject: Forum Subscription New Topic Notification ( From TotalChoice Hosting Family Forums )

From: "TotalChoice Hosting Family Forums" <forums@totalchoicehosting.com>

Date: Wed, January 7, 2004 4:34 pm

To: user@**** (changed by me so I don't get spam)

Priority: Normal

Madmanmcp,

lizzyS has just posted a new topic entitled "File Manager" in forum "Server 53".

The topic can be found here:

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...?showtopic=6692

Mike, ok I understand your point about SEO reasons for being repetitive with "TotalChoice Hosting" and I agree that it would be a great marketing tool. I personally just place more emphasis on helping the customers you currently have.

I've been around the BB's for a long while and have helped design and format and select the topics for them for Prodigy. Yes every single question can not be accounted for by a topic for it, but you can come up with several generic areas where most will fit.

For example lately I have seen lots of general questions about email or email problems and spam and from what I can see there is not a spot where they would fit. TCH offers Email accounts so I would assume help would be necessary for this and lots of questions would be expected. A General Email topic would probably be a welcome addition for them :).

For e-mail, under TotalChoice Hosting General Support:

Backend Services

E-Mail, FTP, DNS, and so on...

One of the reasons we dont have more "specific" forums is because we simply just dont support everything. We will certainly try to help all we can. This is a hosting company, and although the topics may be pretty broad I think we have covered all of the bases.

I personally just place more emphasis on helping the customers you currently have.

There is nothing more important to us than our family members... and I know that's especially true for Head Guru. That's why we have the forums, live chat, help desk, IM's for most of the staff and an emergency pager system that can be called and does get signaled when the servers experience problems.

As for the forums, what difference does it really make to call it Family/Open Discussion or TotalChoice Hosting Family/Open Discussion? The real point I see here is that perhaps there could be better choices for the forums we have. I myself have just recently posted

If anyone has suggestions for new forums then feel free to post them as suggestions. There have been some new ones lately as a result of suggestions.
in the thread about Please Post Appropriately. That post has had only one suggestion and that was for an "Anything goes" which is the Open Discussion forum by another name.

We all do our best but if you have any ideas for a better forum structure, then by all means mention it. Bill and the others involved can take a look at it and see if there is anything we can use. There are other considerations when running such a business as this so they may not accept every suggestion but so far they've pretty much done everything suggested in other areas.

By the way, we do not take offense at comments from someone who truly wants to make TCH better! There may be things such a person is not aware of, such as the SEO reason for naming some of the forums for example, but we are glad to hear any suggestion meant to help.

Personally, I try to always follow the philosophy "If something is wrong and you feel strongly about it, maybe you're the one to do something about it. Don't just talk bad about the ones who are doing it or how poorly they are doing." So to see someone who feels strongly about it say something constructive makes me feel good, not offended. Thumbs Up

"Anything goes" which is the Open Discussion forum by another name

It cant be a "Anything goes" forum, if we are asked to review our posts and to post them in a more appropriate forum when their isnt or might not be since some descriptions are blurred.

*Once again, lets say i have a question about if i can change domainname, in my case, i wanna drop jikrantz.com and point jikrantz.net to my serverspace. I have jikrantz.net already registered so it can not go in pre-sales so i post it in open discussions, but there im told im have not posted in the appropriate forum so then a "anything goes or changed forumnames/descriptions, would be fine. :)

*Above example is fictional, i do not wish to drop jikrantz.com :P

Backend Services

E-Mail, FTP, DNS, and so on...

There it is...how did I miss that?

Maybe it was the term "Backend Services" and I didn't concider Email or FTP a backend service so skipped over it several times. So I went to Google and typed in "Backend Services" to do a little research and guess what I got. Yep, top two returns were "TotalChoice Hosting Family Forums" which surprised me.

I also did a quick search of the forum and found other notes saying they were not sure where to post.

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...indpost&p=47747

Hi folks. Hope i'm close to finding the right spot for this question~.

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...indpost&p=47754

hope this is at the right place

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...indpost&p=45490

First, apologies if this isn't an appropriate place to ask this. But I'm trying everything.

Glad I am not the only one confused :)

Glad I am not the only one confused

Get in line :P

Just a suggestion folks, I think its time for TCH to review The forum names/descriptions.

Madmancp wasnt the first to be confused and probably not the last since no one can predict peoples questions before they are asked, but confusion can be reduced just as intrusions can if we play around with firewalls until we find the one who works best for us.

Rock Sign and i hope it will continue. :)

Hi Jim,

There is nothing more important to us than our family members... and I know that's especially true for Head Guru.
Oh I agree 110%, that was not what I meant...sometimes I say the wrong things the wrong way at times.

Mike said:

but it is also a HUGE HUGE marketing tool.
so his emphasis was on the other side of the equation and I was just saying MINE leans the otherway.

what difference does it really make to call it Family/Open Discussion or TotalChoice Hosting Family/Open Discussion?
Well I come from the school where quick and to the point works best, when reading, you want to find something without having to read around unnecessary text. The Top of the page says TotalChoice Hosting, The forum is TotalChoice Hosting Family Forums, the topic is TotalChoice Hosting Family. This is probably one of the reasons people (like me) missed the right place to post, they end up skipping over reading to find what they want and skip over what they are looking for.

in the thread about Please Post Appropriately. That post has had only one suggestion and that was for an "Anything goes" which is the Open Discussion forum by another name.

Only one suggestion? I believe I dropped a note there (as have others) and I had more than one suggestion I believe :).

"If something is wrong and you feel strongly about it, maybe you're the one to do something about it.

As most can see by now, I am not afraid to speak my mind and this was intended to be constructive. I have given reasons and suggestions and appreciate all comments either for or against.

Only one suggestion? I believe I dropped a note there (as have others) and I had more than one suggestion I believe :).

Indeed you did and it was a good one too. For those who don't want to click away, the suggestion was to 1. make the subjects obvious, not just "Help me" and 2. to organize by generic Topics.

What I meant was that many have said "I don't know where to post this" but few have said "I would like to see a forum topic under Web Design and Optimization for people who want to bash Google's brains out called 'Bash Google'".

By the way, you didn't say anything wrong, I was just clarifying that we do care more about our customers than it seems. I was not offended or upset by your comment in any way.

One more thing, thanks for being brave enough to express your opinions! The only way we can know how our family feels about something is if they tell us.

Why not make suggestions then

Tutorials, HTML and CSS, FrontPage, Cute Site Builder & Cute FTP, Dreamweaver & Flash, Graphics goes in to TotalChoice Hosting General Support.

Merge Scripting Talk and Installing Scripts since both is about problems with them.

TCH does not only sell serverspaces but also domains but there is no place where those questions can go (especially if already registered/purchased) so make a new forum named Domains where all domain questions can be placed, no matter its purchasing. pending, transferring or what ever.

A new forum named Hosting where all hosting questions can be placed, no matter its purchasing. propagation, transferring or what ever.

This way I think "open discussions" can be a anything goes forum but without domain/hosting questions.

Just my one cent.

A. Cut back on the number of Groups and Forums.

The Board is made up of 10 groups with 42 forums, anywhere from 2 to 10 forums per group. Either combine some of the Forums or eliminate them and cut down the number.

1. Some of the forums are for a specific products while others cover more than one. Try and be consistant and not split out specific products. For instance, Backend Services is a catchall forum and Frontpage, CSB, Dreamweaver are specific. You can combine to cut back on the number of forums.

2. Some of the forums are very active, lots of topics and replies, and others are not. Eliminate or combine the less active forums.

3. Some of the Forums are Static and maybe better off out on their own web page. The "About TotalChoice Hosting" group for instance, the "More Specifics" and "Policies" forum. The board is for interaction, posting a note and reading replies. These two are just there to read. And "Contest" is just dead space at the moment...unless you are bringing them back ;).

B. If Cutting back is not an acceptable option, maybe divide and expand is. Make two Boards. At the moment I see a possible division point for the board(s), Potential customers and current customers. For me splitting up into two boards seems like a better solution.

TCH-Staff -

Just tossing out an idea here. Since you're getting ready to redo the site, maybe a directory page for the forums - what's in my mind at the moment is what I see when I walk into the medical center housed inside of the local hospital. But not a "map" sort of map but Looking for E-Mail Answers? Try X Forum (with a link) or Y Forum (with a link) - a front page directory for the easily confused? :D

Just tossing out ideas and maybe it's redundant. But, that's part of what I love about the environment here. You can feel free to offer ideas, and even if they're not feasible or they're reinventing the wheel the family at least will give them a listening to! :goof:

Beth :)

Excellent ideas folks! I like them too, for what it's worth. Anyone else? When we have given everyone a chance perhaps we can combine these into a new forums format. (I'm not speaking for TCH though. This would have to be approved by Bill first, of course!) It's great to have your suggestions so we can see what you mean exactly.

Thanks!

Sorry just getting around to replying, keep in mind these are MY opinions, and Bill may completely disagree with me. :dance:

A. Cut back on the number of Groups and Forums.

The Board is made up of 10 groups with 42 forums, anywhere from 2 to 10 forums per group. Either combine some of the  Forums or eliminate them and cut down the number.

I really don't see much to combine, unless you combine Q&A with general support, and maybe reseller support with those

1. Some of the forums are for a specific products while others cover more than one. Try and be consistant and not split out specific products. For instance, Backend Services is a catchall forum and Frontpage, CSB, Dreamweaver are specific. You can combine to cut back on the number of forums.

Backed services and the other forums in general support are generalized or bunched up because there are two many server related services to make separate forums for. On the other hand, if you combine forums like the frontage, DW and CSB forums, then you run into the same "problem" you mentioned before in another post.

"When you make a subject and call it "Help, what do I do" and its an email question. Nobody will know until they drill down and read the whole note. If I am not good at answering email questions then I have spent time not helping when I could have been elsewhere helping with what I know.

unless everyone makes sure there post says help with forms using dreamweaver, your going to have to read it Anya to find out if it is something you can help with.

2. Some of the forums are very active, lots of topics and replies, and others are not. Eliminate or combine the less active forums.
Looking at the main page every forum has been posted in within the last week

3. Some of the Forums are Static and maybe better off out on their own web page. The "About TotalChoice Hosting" group  for instance, the "More Specifics" and "Policies" forum. The board is for interaction, posting a note and reading      replies. These two are just there to read. And "Contest" is just dead space at the moment...unless you are bringing them back :).

This is were we disagree, the forum isn't just for interaction, posting a note and reading replies. It is for information, and the same reason I mentioned before is the reason for the static content, spiders index that content and that gives us more traffic and potential customers. More customers = more family to interact with. Contests are coming back, I just can't say for sure when.

B. If Cutting back is not an acceptable option, maybe divide and expand is. Make two Boards. At the moment I see a possible division point for the board(s), Potential customers and current customers. For me splitting up into two boards seems like a better solution.

This is not an option, part of what makes potential customers current customers is this forum, splitting it up so one group can go here and another there is out of the question.

I hope it's not too late to add a suggestion. I made this one earlier today in another discussion titled "Duplicate Pages on Site" and I was only half kidding:

Everyone here is so helpful, but quite honestly the answers often go way beyond my abilities. I wouldn't know a script if I fell over one!! I designed my site with a wysiwyg and I thought I was doing pretty well just to get it up and running. May I humbly suggest a new forum: "Websites for Dummies!" There we can post questions and whoever answers will know that, for the most part, we won't understand a word they're saying! Could be entertaining if nothing else.

It would be nice if there were a forum just for beginners who need help and explanations with a definite NON-TECHNICAL twist to them. Perhaps it could be moderated by someone who speaks English as opposed to computerese. ;) I nominate Big Gorilla!