Sign in to follow this  
hatala

Ftp Using Ie

I am having a problem setting up clients to have FTP access when using IE both on Windows and Mac.

Does anyone use them and what is the ftp link and how is the password formatted. I have followed the instructions from cpanel and it doesn't like it. It will not resolve the password,

Thanks in advance

Here are the instructions from IE Help...see if this helps

To access FTP sites directly

In the Address bar, type the Internet address (URL) for the FTP site you want to connect to. For example:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/

Do one or more of the following:

To download a file or folder, right-click the item on the page, and then click Copy to Folder.

To log on as a different user to this FTP site, on the File menu, click Login As.

To rename or delete items in an FTP folder, or paste items into an FTP site (upload), you can use the same commands and actions you use with Windows Explorer or My Computer.

Notes

On some FTP sites, you can only view or download files. Only the people who run or own the site can rename, delete, or upload files.

On many FTP sites, you are automatically logged on anonymously, so you can view or download files. To upload, rename, or delete files, you may need to log on using a special user name and password. Also, different areas of the same site may require different logons.

You cannot move files within or between FTP sites. You can move files from an FTP site to a temporary location on your computer or a network drive, and then upload them to another FTP site or different folder on the same site.

Some programs may support opening and saving files from FTP servers by typing an FTP address in the File Open or File Save dialog box.

IE does not seem to like the username format because of the @ sign. You can try using ftp://username%40domain.com:password@ftp.domain.com and see if it will log in. It is best to use a free ftp client such as FileZilla, SmartFTP, or CoreFTP. IE will work fine with the main account using ftp://username:password@domain.com as the format.

Edited by TCH-Rick

I'm actually having a problem with my anonymous ftp on server 50. It stopped working a couple days ago. Can anyone help? It used to login automatically on Mozilla/IE. Now I get a 530 error on Mozilla and IE reprompts for login and then shows me the directory, but it's empty. I tried changing the permissions on the files too, but they still don't appear for anonymous. :) :)

LINK REMOVED

What am I doing wrong?? Is there a way for us to configure ftp accounts manually (outside of the cpanel)?

Sorry hatala, my post's not much help for you... :)

Big Gorilla - Do you see a folder and a zip file both named "Pictures...."? I can't see them with anonymous, but they are there. All I see with anonymous is the incoming directory, which was already deleted and disabled. That's really the problem, and i'm not sure how I screwed it up... :dance: I guess i'll put in a help desk ticket.

Thanks.