What Would You Like To See At Tch?

Nick_

Hey Folks.

It's pretty obvious, we wouldn't be here without you, our family. Which brings me to the point of this post...what would you like to see added to TCH? What can we do to make TCH even better for you?

Let's pull no punches..no matter how big or small...I'd like to know what you want to see.

I'm looking forward to reading tons of new suggestions :)

Edited by TCH-Nick

There was something i thought about the other day, but now when im asked, i can not remember what it was. I´ll be back if I remember though.

The only thing i can think of is a real pic of Bill instead of that halloween pic. :unsure:

-Thomas

Edited by Tonsa

A Server 55 forum! ;) (ain't I easy?)

Seriously, though, I'm sure I'll have a list forthcoming, but right now I'm still too new to make real suggestions yet (mainly because some I may just not know of yet that you already have).

For now, I'd be happy with free coffee and donuts! :unsure: woooot

Well, the only thing I can think of right now is shell access but that has been discussed several times and it has been decided that it won't be available :\

Do we really need to hash this all over again Raul?

You know why we no longer offer shell, if you have forgotten drop me a PM and I will glady remind you why.

Bill

Bill needs to start slacking off so we have something to complain about. You know, a nice 2-3 day outage on a server or some broken features or get rid of this Nick-guy... something so we can go back to complaining like we all did to our previous hosts.

:unsure: ;)

Rock Sign

Bill, I wasn't suggesting (or even "suggesting") you'd provide shell access again. I know why you don't and I understand (and agree with) your position. I was only trying to say that there isn't really something I miss. I do have some suggestions which I'll post later.

Nick's post in Security just prompted an idea...

You know you've seen sites that have the latest virus news? Can we do something like that here on the forums or on the site? The forums particularly is the one place that I go everyday without fail. Would be neat to have that info here somehow.

For Lianna,

What if TotalChoice were to add the following add on scripts to all our servers? Allowing a ONE CLICK INSTALL?

›› Invision Board

›› PHP-Nuke

›› osCommerce

›› Post Nuke

›› Xoops

›› phpWebSite

›› phpAuction

›› Live Help *Live Chat Script*

›› phpBook

›› b2 (weblog)

›› phpAdsNew

›› phpCollab

›› 4Images Gallery

›› Advanced Poll

›› One Or Zero HelpDesk *HelpDesk Script*

›› Moodle

›› Gallery

mod_gzip

A useable unzip utility for the file manager. It works great with tarballs, but seems to have trouble with .zip files. I had to install the unzip binary in my home directory and use the php exec() function to unzip them.

Webmail that doesn't require logging in twice, and lets other users login. I might install my own webmail app to get around this.

Webmail that is user-skinnable so it can match the rest of the site. I might install my own webmail app to get around this.

Smarter pricing schemes. 2 Silver plans gives the same amount of disk space as the Gold plan, plus 2GB/mo extra bandwidth, for $4.95 less per month. I was thinking about upgrading to the next level if I need the extra space or bandwidth, but I might just jump on a starter or silver plan instead and crosslink. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the prices; they're great. But it looks like there wasn't a lot of thought put into the disk/bandwidth/price distribution, since those are the only variables.

That's all I can honestly think of right now; I might add more if I can think of it. But aside from the pricing plans (which is really a helpful marketing/sales suggestion) and the mod_gzip, the others are pretty moot.

Oh, I remember one thing I have been thinking of.

Can you add MSN to the "Our gift to you" thing?

Now I need to use same kind of service from someone else but it works very bad so if I (in my case) could have MSN and Yahoo working from same service it would be nice and the loading time of my site would probably be reduced. :)

-Thomas

I think the smileys would be nice, too.

I know this is not the kind of stuff you're asking about but I know I missed them some times :)

And there's no need to have the edit window infested with smileys. You can leave just a few of them visible and all the other ones will only be visible if you click the link that opens the small "Show all" window :dance:

mod_gzip
I've contacted the developers of CPanel regarding this...I'll keep you updated.

Webmail that doesn't require logging in twice, and lets other users login.  I might install my own webmail app to get around this.

How are you logging in? If you use http://www.example.com/webmail than you only have to login once.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

A virus filter for e-mails.

If an e-mail containing a virus was received by the mail server, the server would detect it and remove the attachment.

Or even better, it could act according to the user's preferences. The user may prefer to receive the e-mail even with the virus because he/she knows the attachment is important and knows how to remove the virus from it.

And then again, if the virus could be removed from the attachment without harming it, it could be done by the server anyway.

I know I've seen this in a few places, one of them being my previous ISP and I think the other place was at my mom's work.

Yes, this would be fabulous indeed. :)

Edited by TCH-Raul

Just remembered another thing:

the possibility of exporting compressed data from phpMyAdmin.

I think that feature used to be turned on but some time ago the option to export compressed (gzipped/bzipped) data was no longer available.

It would be nice to have it.

A useable unzip utility for the file manager. It works great with tarballs, but seems to have trouble with .zip files. I had to install the unzip binary in my home directory and use the php exec() function to unzip them.

Somehow the unzip utility had not been added to your server. I have installed it and you should be able to unzip from the File Manager in Cpanel now.

If an e-mail containing a virus was received by the mail server, the server would detect it and remove the attachment.

Or even better, it could act according to the user's preferences. The user may prefer to receive the e-mail even with the virus because he/she knows the attachment is important and knows how to remove the virus from it.

And then again, if the virus could be removed from the attachment without harming it, it could be done by the server anyway.

I know I've seen this in a few places, one of them being my previous ISP and I think the other place was at my mom's work.

Yes, this would be fabulous indeed. :dance:

Out of curiousity, would everyone be interested in a better email/virus firewall? One that scans emails for viruses and spam before it even hits your mailbox or even server? Second question, would you be willing to purchase something like this as an addon to your account?

Just bouncing ideas through my head... :)

I would like to be able to access billing information. I don't like living in the dark with regard to such issues. I don't remember when exactly I paid last time. I know you guys are supposed to remind me :), but e-mails get lost, or deleted by anti-spam software etc. I don't want to wake up one day and see my account canceled.

Also, more payment options. I might go to Russia in a few months which means I'll most probably have to cancel my account here, which I'd hate to do. But PayPal doesn't accept credit cards from many Eastern European countries for some weird reasons, and if you use the "Verified by Visa" thingie I won't be able to pay directly either (I'm not sure about MasterCard though, this may still be an option, but the problem is that you never know such things until you try to make a payment. :dance: )

A pre-virus filter would be great. My ISP uses postini to pre-filter for spam and to scan for viruses (or is that viri?) In the past day I've received 177 infected email messages in that account with none getting through the filter. In contrast, the mail that goes through TCH has no virus scanning and Norton has caught about 20 after I forced a definition update. There were another 20 or so that go through before the definitions were updated.

Most of us are bright enough not to open these messages and attachments, but there are obviously a lot of people who still do. I think we should do everything we can to stop SPAM and viral email.

- Jim

www.unibrain.org

I would like to be able to access billing information. I don't like living in the dark with regard to such issues. I don't remember when exactly I paid last time. I know you guys are supposed to remind me :), but e-mails get lost, or deleted by anti-spam software etc. I don't want to wake up one day and see my account canceled.

Also, more payment options. I might go to Russia in a few months which means I'll most probably have to cancel my account here, which I'd hate to do. But PayPal doesn't accept credit cards from many Eastern European countries for some weird reasons, and if you use the "Verified by Visa" thingie I won't be able to pay directly either (I'm not sure about MasterCard though, this may still be an option, but the problem is that you never know such things until you try to make a payment. :dance: )

This is actually in the works...you should have a portal to login to where you can see invoices, as well as submit tickets and what not. No exact ETA however, we'll say "soon".

This is actually in the works...you should have a portal to login to where you can see invoices, as well as submit tickets and what not.

Sounds great, thanks!

But what exactly is in the works? Are you talking about just billing issues or about payment options as well? I think Head Guru said several times you didn't have any plans regarding the latter.

What other payments are you interested in? Honestly, credit cards, as well as paypal pretty much covers the options.

It's hard for me to say now. Credit cards are fine with me at this time. Maybe by that time Visa will fix their verification algorythm. According to their rules, a card with a VISA logo must be accepted everywhere, regardless of where it was issued. I have no clue why a Citibank Visa issued in Russia might not pass their verification. Most probably it's just a bug, but they are really slow in fixing it (the problem has been out there for a couple of years now).

In the meanwhile, many hosts, including US-based ones, accept WebMoney payments apart from credit cards/PayPal.

A pre-virus filter would be great.

Vexira For Mail Servers - It's what I've switched to at work (from RAV which was discontinued). Does have a reasonably priced unlimited license.

It works though. It blocks about 300-400 viruses a day here (where I work, not at TCH), and today it's blocked 10,000+ and we are blocking about 1,000 per hour and we only have about 250 mailboxes here.

Edit: Realized I linked to the wrong version of the product first time. Oops. :D

Edited by Big Gorilla

I'm most interested in a hardware firewall for email. This way when major viruses like the current one hit, it doesn't load down the server at all...When SoBig hit, there was servers that were scraping to perform (not here at TCH) because of the mailq being so large...

It would be beneficial to everyone to have a hardware firewall instead. One that can filter all the unwanted filth before it can cause any load on the actual server.

I was just about to suggest that. A dedicated virus-filtering machine (be it a computer/server or other type of device) would be the best choice so it doesn't clog the mail servers.

Edited by TCH-Raul

A custom backup schedule isn't very feasible due to the fact that we need to be able to monitor the times to ensure that servers are at the least load possible at all times. We take pride in our servers remaining stable and fast, and although custom backup schedule would be convenient, it would not be good for the servers.

I'd like to see a glossary/dictionary of terms (for those of us who aren't so web savvy, but still too embarrassed to ask "what's that?"). Similar to: http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...?showtopic=4570 but expanded on and pinned in the tutorials . . . maybe a link to something that already exists.

Somewhere to go for help with my meta tag/title/keywords mess . . .

A tutorial that explains what the robot txt is what it does, how to create it and where to put it . . .

A forum for Dreamweaver/Flash users . . . .

A compatibility forum where we could find out what our sites look like in different browsers/screen resolutions etc.

Spell check in the text entry window.

The pre-virus filter would be really great.

I know, I know . . don’t ask for the moon . . .

(insert the new "gee, I'm an idiot" smiley here)

I like those suggestions, Cloudrm. It's not just those who are too new to know and too shy to ask - there are a lot of us "old timers" that can benefit from some of those things you mentioned.

Two that stand out are the web-creation software-specific forums, at least for the big ones (Dreamweaver, FrontPage, GoLive, etc) and the browser compatibility. I like those especially because they are things we could benefit from as web designers, they are totally community oriented and would fit our family well, and they have a great deal of useful content which will both help our family members and make Scott feel better about the SEO angle. <_<

mod_gzip

Webmail that doesn't require logging in twice, and lets other users login.  I might install my own webmail app to get around this.
How are you logging in? If you use http://www.example.com/webmail than you only have to login once.

mod_gzip is a CPanel thing? I figured it was more server-level since it's an apache module.

And for the webmail login reference, see this thread: How To Change Users For Webmail? Basically, I'm talking about how you have to do an apache-level authentication, then the webmail program's authentication. IE, you hit domain.com/webmail, and apache says "user/passwd" then you get past that, and webmail asks for the same.

Somehow the unzip utility had not been added to your server. I have installed it and you should be able to unzip from the File Manager in Cpanel now.

w00t! Thanks. Seems the squeaky wheel does get fixed :)

I know I've seen a post about this someplace but I can't find it now. I want to use yourvurtualstore to build a commerce site for a client but it uses ASP, Any chance of getting that here on TCH?

I'm a big fan of the customer service here. I was on HostCentric the other day doing some updates for another client and I was just stunned by how difficult it is to do anything on their servers. You have to jump through some serious hoops just to add an FTP login.

I'd really like to stay at TCH but yourvirtualstore solves a number of specific problems for me - so how about that ASP?

Heres a list of all of the suggestions so far:

A Server 55 forum! (DONE)

Update on this thread http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...3839&hl=auction (Fantastico)

more smileys!!

latest virus news

The ability to delete our own posts, please. (DONE)

mod_gzip (IN PROGESS - ETA 24-48 HOURS FOR ALL SERVERS)

Webmail that doesn't require logging in twice, and lets other users login

Webmail that is user-skinnable so it can match the rest of the site

add MSN to the "Our gift to you" thing?(MSN HAS BEEN ADDED)

exporting compressed data from phpMyAdmin

schedule my own backups w/out having to write another script and put it in cron

access billing information (IN PROGRESS AT LEAST 6 MONTHS AWAY)

more payment options (NOT PLANNED)

glossary/dictionary of terms

Somewhere to go for help with my meta tag/title/keywords mess . . .

A tutorial that explains what the robot txt is what it does, how to create it and where to put it . . .

Good link for robots.txt file is located here:

http://www.searchengineworld.com/robots/robots_tutorial.htm

A forum for Dreamweaver/Flash users (DONE)

A compatibility forum where we could find out what our sites look like in different browsers/screen resolutions etc.

Spell check in the text entry window. (I'm actually working on this one now)

ASP (POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)

mod_gzip

mod_gzip is a CPanel thing? I figured it was more server-level since it's an apache module.

And for the webmail login reference, see this thread: How To Change Users For Webmail? Basically, I'm talking about how you have to do an apache-level authentication, then the webmail program's authentication. IE, you hit domain.com/webmail, and apache says "user/passwd" then you get past that, and webmail asks for the same.

w00t! Thanks. Seems the squeaky wheel does get fixed :)

You are correct, not sure what Nick was refering to.

I have this planned to get on the servers in 24-48 hours.

Lots of other things going on right now, but mod_gzip should be somethign that our servers can run.

Gimmie couple days.

Billl

Would it be possible to get a "I´m looking for..." forum for anything, not specific to an area (could be graphics, scripts, you name it) that we have problem finding.

There is forums for suggestions but no one for things we havent found as far as i can see.

I asked for this in another thread. It wasnt that threads prime question but I added it in to it. :)

Lianna replied this:

We'll certainly take the suggestion into consideration. There have been a ton of questions posted here that would fall into that category.

Please, please, please :blink:

Having a "hosted" suggestion box is cool, but maybe it shouldn't be a "one of the admins decided to ask what people wanted" thing, but rather, a more standard wishlist forum, something like the "Tutorial Suggestions" forum. My local video rental place has a book on the counter where people can write their suggestions ("Please get 'Picnic at Hanging Rock'", e.g.), and the staff write in their responses ("out of print", "too expensive", "already have it", etc.)

There could even be a summary Q&A area, where people can quickly go and find out why TCH isn't offering such-and-such a service (shell access, e.g.), without having to ask and start a whole thread over again.

There could even be a summary Q&A area, where people can quickly go and find out why TCH isn't offering such-and-such a service (shell access, e.g.), without having to ask and start a whole thread over again.

Though this may be a good thing, most of the ones I've seen in other places have turned into a "Why can't I have it my way - you guys are stupid" thing. I personally like it that Head Guru takes the time to asks us and I'm sure it's better for him to be able to schedule it a little so that when he asks there are enough resources available to make things happen instead of getting slammed at "the wrong time".

Well, when I arrive here officially on Friday, I guess I'd like to find Scotch - Dewars, rocks, twist, soda, double, thank you very much. ;)

Then, a glossary would be great. There are a lot of us who are rusty in our skills and a place to quickly double check references would be nice. I'm still just dying to find out what a "blogger" is - having too much fun tossing it around in my head to actually look it up. :Nerd:

An e-mail virus agent is always welcome - gets my vote. :)

I also like the idea of a community forum of "I'm looking for thus and such ... anyone got it or know where I can get it?" but on the topic of websites and computers, unless it's Scotch or chocolate, of course.

Well, back to my corner. See you Friday. :)

Beth

It's not exactly a glossary, but here's a good way to find out what a new term means:

www.pcwebopedia.com

For instance I found this:

blog

Last modified: Monday, May 19, 2003

(n.) Short for Web log, a blog is a Web page that serves as a publicly-accessible personal journal for an individual. Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.

(v.) To author a Web log.

Of course you can always Google a word or phrase too. (Hey, if "they" can make a verb of 'Photoshop' then *I* can make a verb of 'Google'!!! :))

Regarding the spell check, theres only one hack that I can find for IPB that adds a spell check function. It only works with IE and requires that you download a program called IE Spell. The problem is, if you download IE spell you don't NEED the spell check hack on the forums, IE spell will spell check it anyway.

You can download IE spell at www.iespell.com it's actually a pretty nice program if you are an IE user and it is free. It works on any page you enter info on.

Out of curiousity, would everyone be interested in a better email/virus firewall? One that scans emails for viruses and spam before it even hits your mailbox or even server? Second question, would you be willing to purchase something like this as an addon to your account?

Just bouncing ideas through my head... :rolleyes:

ANYTHING would be better than the silent dropping of certian (infected or not) attachments that the server does now. If I have to pay extra in order to get all of my email, you'd better make it cheap.

Dave

Is there attachements being dropped now?

I havent noticed anything and im getting attachements pretty often.

Anything with executable attachments i.e. .exe, .scr, .vbs, and more.

I don't mind that they drop them (too much). I just want to know when they do.

Why not zip them?

My brother in law has the same problem, so he told me to zip if i send those things and it works.

Too lazy :) . It's fewer keystroks to just rename the file to .ex_.

I'm just bitter because the mailserver is silent about it, and I had to drive to work on a Sunday because the file I emailed myself wasn't there when I went to use it once.

Dave

Hey people, we need to be a little active in protecting ourselves, not just depending others are nice or protecting to us.

That's kind of my point, I want to take responsiblity for protecting myself. TCH is not doing a good job of it right now IMHO. They're blocking attachments that aren't dangerous, and they're not telling anybody when they do block something.

Kontos, the reason for the blocks is to also protect TCH's property in addition to yours.

My main problem is not with the blocking of attachemnts. It's how it is done. The offending emails are silently dropped. I'd prefer that the message be deliverd with the attachment stripped, or at least the message be bounced back to the sender with a descriptive error message.

I know it's a probably a holy war, but is it better in the long run to allow the blissfully ignorant user to remain so? TCH will be just as vunerable when the next one spreads via P2P, or http download.

Personally, I’m glad the servers block these attachments.

When I’m sent a file other than the “basics”, I’d rather have some level of protection on my server.

I would, however, like to have a notification to let me know that blank@blank tried to send me a message/file. If it turns out to be a client, then I at least have an explanation other than “duh . .I don’t know”.

It’s a double edged sword, For the most part, my clients understand that the online world isn’t perfect and in the off chance there’s a problem . . . there’s a way to work around it.

For my 2 cents,

I think it is good that TCH blocks those attachments, if someone wants to send me an attachment, they more than likely know my Yahoo Messenger login name, I would much rather not get Tom's Cat's birthday party pictures, than to get a virus on my server!

reposting the list to get us back on track.

A Server 55 forum! (DONE)

Update on this thread http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...3839&hl=auction (Fantastico)

more smileys!!

latest virus news (VIRUS ALERT FORUM ADDED TO THE SECURITY SECTION)

The ability to delete our own posts, please. (DONE)

mod_gzip (IN PROGESS - ETA 24-48 HOURS FOR ALL SERVERS)

Webmail that doesn't require logging in twice, and lets other users login

Webmail that is user-skinnable so it can match the rest of the site

add MSN to the "Our gift to you" thing?(MSN HAS BEEN ADDED)

exporting compressed data from phpMyAdmin

schedule my own backups w/out having to write another script and put it in cron

access billing information (IN PROGRESS AT LEAST 6 MONTHS AWAY)

more payment options (NOT PLANNED)

glossary/dictionary of terms ( http://www.pcwebopedia.com/ )

Somewhere to go for help with my meta tag/title/keywords mess (SEE SEO threads here http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...howforum=4)

Good link for robots.txt file is located here:

http://www.searchengineworld.com/robots/robots_tutorial.htm

A forum for Dreamweaver/Flash users (DONE)

A compatibility forum where we could find out what our sites look like in different browsers/screen resolutions etc. (Web site design and optimization forums http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...hp?showforum=4)

Spell check in the text entry window. (I'm actually working on this one now)

ASP (POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)

Hmmm,

This has most likely been asked before, or is alrdy here *I just have not found it yet* or it might need to be asked through the mail providers, but how about a way for clients and visitor's to sign up for their eMail address and reply to a validation link, then their eMail be set up?

As in an Automated eMail Service, which will allow us to be able to have new users created without having to go in and setup their accounts by hand, having packages we can create, such as visitor's mail, and Client's mail, with different storage limits, without having to point our MX records and sendmail records to places like Bigmailbox which limits the amount of space we can let our clients or visitors use, and just have like an eMail Admin Panel withen our website like the cPanel is, so we can delete, Mass eMail, Suspend accounts, and so on.

Is it out of the realm of possibility for TCH to provide addon domains for some of the starter accounts for a monthly fee... your basic accounts have plenty of elbow room and I like that, but I am not ready for a re-sellers account just yet mind you... I also like the idea of more one click apps in c-panel &/or Fantastico... it takes a lot of time from finding a script on HotScripts or somewhere & getting it installed... So what about it TCH

ps the paypal from an account works great... Hillhiker

Would it be possible to have a list (linked to from this forum) that tells what DC have which servers?

Today I read this in Network and Data Center Updates

We are currently seeing latency across all servers in our Atlanta, GA Facilty.

I can not tell by that if my server (23) is affected by that.

Not sure if this has been done before but if not here it goes...

When a upgrade/maintenance of something is planned to happen on the servers and you know what time it will take place, would it be possible to ask you to use (publish it on) Time and Dates fixed time since all family members are all over the world and knowing when EST and PST or any ST for that matter is can be a bit tricky?

My top 3 desires (in order of importance):

1) Do not passively deactivate an account's ability to receive email when it reaches or exceeds disk capacity. Rather, generate an email warning to account owner, rather than simply preventing the account from receiving more email. Email is incredibly important and should NEVER simply be cut off without warning. This happened to me once during a full site backup. Perhaps a workaround would be for the backup file to be generated in a filespace separate from the account. To prevent a pile-up of backup files, give the user 24 hours to download it, then have it automatically deleted. Please consider this. It is very important.

2) More disk space. While TCH already offers the best value out there, more disk space never hurts.

3) Offer IMAP email. Why? Quite simply, "IMAP speeds up the mail process." Not only that, but it provides much more flexibility than POP3 or Web-only (Horde/Neo/SquirrelMail) access, and allows you to access your email from any computer using IMAP-compatible mail programs like Outlook, Mozilla, etc. (Of course, you can continue using Web mail, Pine, etc.) More:

http://www.tamu.edu/neo/history/imap.html

Oh, and cpanel supports IMAP. IMAP is also better over dial-up connections since it only downloads message headers to obtain listing of messages.

As always, keep up the great work and reliability, TCH!