smtp email problem

GuANu

i recently registed my domain, and hosted it with totalchoice... so far its superb, cant be happier... only issue i've come across so far is in outlook express I can recieve email no problem, but sending email gives me an error:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'guanu', Server: 'mail.guanu.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

if anyone can help me out and tell me what i can do to fix it, all info is set up correctly, but it wont even connect to port 25...

thanks

GuANu

Jim,

Sure, provided that you have an email account with your ISP. For example, my ISP is SBCGlobal. So in Outlook, I list for my domain mail account and incoming server of "mail.stoverdatasystems.com" and an outgoing mail server of "smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com".

As long as I am using their services, and have an email account through them (even if I don't use it) I can send my mail through their server.

Now, some ISP's have it set up that you MUST first check incoming mail before being able to send, thus ensuring that you have an account with them and evading the spammers. Outlook has a cool setting for that as well. Somewhere in the advanced settings for Outgoing Server, there should be an option to check: "My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" then tell it to "Log on using" and enter your ISP mail account username and password.

Lianna

Two things I'd check -- one, try doing what lstover suggested and allowing SMTP authorization. (It's available with Outlook Express and Eudora, at least.)

I also had a problem until I told Eudora not to use SSL in sending. (Don't know how to change that in Outlook Express.) But from home (cable ISP) or work, I don't have trouble sending through my account here once I fixed those two things.

Andrew