If hosting or building web sites, eventually we all have pictures and images we want to publish and make available. Last year I found this free shareware program called Easy Thumbnails. It can work on either a single image or a whole directory full of image files.

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.html

Additionally, one nice feature is that you can 'add' it as a right click feature. Imaginge having a photo on your computer. Right click on it, and select 'make a thumbnail'!

-kw

Another suggestion would be Irfanview, a free image editor/viewer, it will also take an entire folder and make it into a thumbnailed html page :P Here's a sample of the type of page it will create

you can get it here http://www.irfanview.com/

All in all both programs look good to me.. I like how irfanview is an all in one tool.. ie you can also edit pictures.. it even has some filters so you can blur out some things out, reverse colors.. and so on

Gosh, Irfanview's been around since... well, I wouldn't be surprised if the first version was version "I". It's great stuff -- I love it's batch-conversion ability.

Andrew

I have usedanother piece of software for many years to do exactly the same thing, create an automatic web page with thumbnails and full size pictures. So, I have not had a need to look elsewhere.

But the person who created the software I use (ThmIndxr) has not updated it in awhile. So, it's nice to have an alternative in the back pocket!

-kw

Doesn't Turtle use Irfanview?

Yes! love it, it also will let you view your graphics as thumbnails with a tree view, like explorer, click on a folder and the thumbs are built on the fly. Makes it easy to mark and delete or move graphics. It is my default viewer.

I've been using Easy Thumbnails for a couple of years now, really great piece of software. Even compresses pictures where you don't resize or drop quality! Irfanview looks nice too, though, and I may give it a try.

Something that's not a resizer, but vastly improves the quality of some photos, is a little program I found called DCEnhancer, which is a freeware version of DC AutoEnhance, both to be found at MediaChance. (Direct link to the products here.) I find it absolutely invaluable when I'm enhancing pictures taken on my digital camera - I go to a lot of gigs, and usually my photos from them are pretty dark and dull; this totally brings them to life (although it can whack the file size up a bit, and that's where Easy Thumbnails comes in handy :)). On one of my pictures, when I enhanced it I discovered there was a band member in the resulting picture who you couldn't even see in the original one! :) AutoEnhance has a batch conversion facility in it (though personally I like to check my pics one by one) and a lot more features than DCEnhance, but it's $35 (you can get a 30-day trial on the site). DCEnhance is completely free though... Have a look and see what you think :)

I found a php program called Gallery 1.3.3 at this site and use it on my page to produce photo galleries. You just upload your photos and it creates the thumbnails and resizes the photos to whatever dimensions you specify. If you click on the thumbnail it loads the resized photo (mine are set for 800 x 600) and if you click on that photo it loads the original photo that you uploaded.

You can see it on my photo page Here.

It's a pretty nice program but the installation instructions were a bit vague in spots. Took me a while to get it working but it's easy to use once it's up and running. I probably shouldn't have tried to install it late at night. :)

• 3 weeks later...