Awstats skiphosts and access log

The config file is located in the tmp directory (outside of your public_html directory.) I looked through the config file on my site trying to figure out why I'm not getting stats through AWStats yet. Seems I remember seeing something about skipping an IP address while I was sorting through it.

Any idea when AWStats will be working on all sites. I still get a Never Updated message when I run it. I noticed on a new domain I just moved here that AWStats is the only package in the CPanel. I checked my conf file and all looked in order so I'm not sure why I'm not seeing anything.

Any idea when AWStats will be working on all sites. I still get a Never Updated message when I run it.

I have the same question as Rickvz in reference to the www.driedflowersdirect.com domain.

D. Scott

I was able to update my stats in AWStats for the first time tonight. I only have a couple of days of stats. I editted the conf file to allow updating from the browser and then hit update now to get them. The default config file doesn't have reverse DNS enabled and that is one of the things I like about Webalizer--I can tell easily which countries are visiting my sites. I enabled that and checked a subdomain and it worked fine.

What am I doing wrong?

I changed my config file for AWStat (DNSLookup=1; AllowToUpdateStatsFromBrowser=0) and nothing changed. The changes are definitely made in the config file but no update button and no domain names .... What am I missing?

Thanks for any help.

D. Scott

What am I doing wrong?

I changed my config file for AWStat (DNSLookup=1; AllowToUpdateStatsFromBrowser=0) and nothing changed. The changes are definitely made in the config file but no update button and no domain names .... What am I missing?

The AllowToUpdateStatsFromBrowser would need to be set to 1 to get the update option. The DNSLookup variable only affects the IPs processed after you set it, not previous ones.

Hey, don't get all worked up about config for awstats just yet. There are some known issues that are being looked into. I don't know specifically if it would impact your goal here, but I would hate to think you were beating yourself up over something that is not in your control......

Hang tight guys. Be assured that the problems with AWStats are being investigated.

Lianna

thanks Lianna, for checking this stuff out. meanwhile, dsdemmin, have you manually reloaded the stats page after you uploaded the edited config file? also be aware of this weird thing that seems to be resetting the config file to its default state every day.

stats are fun to obsess over but of debatable usefulness. still, if i don't obsess over my stats, who will? :D

:D I just recieved this reply from tech support:

<<

(Bill Kish) had responded with:

AWstats are a global setting, thus each user can not control the settings.

Sorry about that.

-------------

Regards,

Bill Kish

General Manager

TotalChoice Hosting Services

>>

I also want to set DNS Lookup to 1, so that I can see which countries are visiting my site. Webalizer does this! If AWstats can't, get rid of it, not Webalizer.

Pat Splitt

Are these two statements not contradictory?

I was able to update my stats in AWStats for the first time tonight. I only have a couple of days of stats. I editted the conf file to allow updating from the browser and then hit update now to get them. The default config file doesn't have reverse DNS enabled and that is one of the things I like about Webalizer--I can tell easily which countries are visiting my sites. I enabled that and checked a subdomain and it worked fine.
AWstats are a global setting, thus each user can not control the settings.

Gotcha.

Would enabling DNS Lookup globally be to taxing?

I like the 'feel' of AWStates but it really needs to be able to resolve IP addresses.

I was also looking forward to customizing the look (colors, fonts, etc.) which looked possible form review of the config file. I send stat reports to my clients and I was considering moving more sites here and that was a definite plus. Right now, I use Analog and Report Magic. Having it already on the server would save me time.

Keep us posted.

Again, thanks for your quick responses. I am enjoying it more and more around here ... and that is because of you'all!

(Yes, you'all is a word ... and a dad-gum good one!)

i'm hoping somebody will figure out how to keep the config files from getting reset to the defaults. i can't imagine this is something that can't be helped. for now, i'm doing the same thing, uploading the .conf file every day. not hard, but all this duplication of effort seems rather counter-intuitive. can you tell i'm at work right now? B)

Ok, linux Guru's please help. B) I tried with my limited knowledge to do the cron job but it didn't work. Here is what I did.

>cp /awstats.cyberhigh.net.conf /tmp/awstats/awstats.cyberhigh.net.conf

and I set it at 01*** so it would copy every day at 1AM. I have the file in the root hence the "/awstats.cyberhigh.net.conf" and you can see where I want it to go.

On second thought, perhaps the files are reset after 1. I will go change that to 5 to see when it is. If anyone can see an error in my cronjob let me know though. :)

Yeah, the problem with trying to set up a cronjob is that the update time seems to drift forward which means eventually it would creep past the time you copied the file and would rewrite it. Looks like the easiest solution is the permission route. It's worked for me for over 24 hours now on two accounts.

Hi,

Couple of issues with the chmod workaround.

Its ok if you do that but I would advise against that fix.

When you disallow the file to be updated you are essentially bypassing any updates to the stats file. Thus if my admin team trys to push a update for AWstats your left behind.

So this could be a problem. For example we are pushing updates to AWstats soon because of a mandatory update required from Cpanel. Now, this means that everyone gets that update cept the clients who altered the permissions.

Just my 2 cents.

I was reluctant to post that message for the very reason Head Guru mentions. I left a subdomain .conf file alone and do check it from time to time to see if there has been an update. As for changing permissions, it is easy to go back and change them back to allow writing in the future but it's not a change that should be made if you are not willing to risk potential problems.

BOY...

I thought I was "starting" to pick up a little bit off of these forums, but you guys have made me realize I am trying to read a "foreign" language.

I wonder if I might get a few suggestions? I submitted an inquiry to the help desk, about not getting any stats on my AWstats page, and they looked into it and updated them manually. That has been done twice, by them, and they said they were aware of a problem and that they are working on it. They have always been great, but I hate to keep asking them to update my stats, but I really do need them.

My question is this...how can "I" update my AWSTATS manually? And, please, if anyone is kind enough to answer me on this method, please be very specific and don't leave out any of the steps, ok?

You guys have a fantastic forum and, obviously, some very knowledgeable participants.

Thanks again,

Terry

Well I can answer you in theory ... but I am having difficulty in actual practice.

Inside your tmp directory, you will find a directory called awstats (this is outside of your public_html directory). In here, you will see your config file (.conf) for awstats. If you look at this file, you will see there is good documentation on a number of good options including AllowToUpdateStatsFromBrowser, which is exactly what it says. Set this parameter to =1 (default is 0).

Now that is the theory. Read the rest of the threads for potential problems ... not really problems but it seems that the config file gets rewritten each day. Again, read the other posts on this thread.

Here is my 'in practice' problem ... the above sounds good (and apparently works for everyone) but I can not get the darn thing to change. I am using ws_ftp and I actually have two config files: awstats.conf and awstats.driedflowersdirect.com.conf. Now I have changed several parameters (e.g. DNS, Allow Update, Skip Hosts, etc.) and nothing is working. My stats are updated daily, the config files are changed and are stable (CHMOD 444) but nothing is taking affect. I just do not get it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Back again...

Well...thanks to Rickvz (advanced member), I am now up and running! I have an "update now" button on my awstats page and it works fine.

Rick walked me through each step...and I want to publicly acknowledge his help.

I'm not sure if I am opening up a can of worms here by posting the steps that he walked me through, but I am sure there are a lot of people out there who would love to know "step by step" how to get the "update now" button on their AWStats. So...here goes. (Rick...I hope this doesn't get you in any hot water...)

First, go to your Cpanel and click on "file manager". Once in there, click on the "folder" beside the letters "Tmp". Then click on the folder besides the word "awstats". Then click on the file that says "awstats.your.site.conf" . Then go to the upper right of the page and click "edit file". A window will pop up. Scroll that window down till you get to... AllowToUpdateStatsFromBrowser=0" and change the "0" to a "1". Then go down to the bottom of the page and "save".

I hope this helps someone and doesn't create a headache for Tech support or help desk!

Best of luck to everyone, and special thanks to Rickvz for his help!

Terry

More kudos for Rick.

Turns out that my changes using ws_ftp were not taking affect. Once I used the Cpanel's file manager, she worked perfectly. I still do not understand, everytime I looked at the config file with ws_ftp, the changes were there.

Thanks Rick ... you the man!

No headaches/can of worms from Tech Support. I think Head Guru stated the position quite clearly:

Its ok if you do that but I would advise against that fix.

So, do as you like but know that we can't support it. If you miss updates, etc. because of a change that you've made, please don't expect that your subsequent request for update will be taken as a priority issue. Ok?

Lianna

Technical Support Services

I think Head Guru stated the position quite clearly

I think that TCH's position is very clear. It is just that there is so much flexibility built into the awstat config file, which I (and others) would love to utilize. Besides the obvious (DNS lookup, SkipHost, etc.), I plan to reconfigure the appearance to give it more of a 'My Company' look (colors, logos, etc.). It would be nice if these changes were static (i.e. 444) ... you know save time.

Maybe in the future you could post that an update is coming? That way we could all 'adjust'.

Asking too much?

No, I don't think that it's too much to ask to communicate changes that will impact our customers. Factly, I think that's why I like TCH so much. Because communication is very important and it goes both ways.

:)

Give us some time to figure out the best way to handle this ok?

Thanks for all of your input and ideas everyone.

Lianna

Terry,

No real trade secrets with AWSTATS. The information Rick gave you was previously identified, and is even posted in the AWSTATS web site site.

At issue, though, is how to allow someone to maintain such modifications without restricxting TCH's ability to push future AWSTATS down to each of us.

As TCH is currently looking at the features of the various STATS package, I'm sure we'll take into consideration such issues as has been raised here.

Stay tuned ... as they say ... for more!

kw

Hard to believe a two line post has expanded into the topic with the most replies on the board.

I lost power last night about 7:30 and was offline until it was restored this afternoon. Thought I might be able to catch up this morning but when we got the the church where my wife works the cable modem was out there as well.

Hope you are all safe and warm. The power keeps blinking on and off here so we'll see how the night goes.

Lianna, since the awstats config file is the only one we are changing permissions to and that file is recreated daily, wouldn't the updates for the software go through just fine and then we would only have to change the perms for a day to allow the new config file to be rewritten and then change the options then? Or would it be possible for us to just install it at the domain level rather than the server level? I love awstats but I do not want to have to redo the customizing every day. :D

Guys, I'm not the one to answer this, but:

AWStats is a part of the cpanel package that is offered here. It is and will be installed at the server level. There is no way that we could viably install software per domain and not exhaust our resources.

I am going to ask again, please let us devise a plan that will most effectively meet the needs of our clients and at the same time not completely kill us. OK? Please be patient.

Thank you.

Lianna

• 2 years later...

Is the file write protected? What are the permissions on the awstats.your-TCH-domain.conf fle? This is the file you need to edit.

And after you enter your IP address into the config file and save it you will need to make the file read only. Set the permissions to 444.