Instant Messengers

TCH-Thomas

What instant messenger du you usually use?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What instant messenger du you usually use?

• MSN
    • YAHOO
    • AIM
    • Other (Please specify in a message)

I use Miranda as a client, it's really the only one out there that has an interface I can tolerate on my screen for more than 5 minutes. :D And that's only because it has a ticker and I almost never have to open it.

I've heard it has plugins for different protocols, but I only use ICQ because I've never seen anyone who would use Yahoo or AIM.

And I would never chat with anyone using MSN, of course. :D

With the paid version you can close trillian in the middle of a conversation, re open it and the conversation you were having is still there in the message window, no need to dig through logs.

If this is available in the free version its new.

I primarily use Fire for Mac OS X, Gaim for Linux, or Trillian Pro for Windows as clients depending on which machine I'm on, so I usually am on AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, and MSN, although AIM is my default primarily because it's the one that I have the most contacts on.

I also use BitWise occasionally (but still waiting for their Mac OS X version).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I use Gaim. It allows me to use the following protocols:

AIM/ICQ

Gadu-Gadu

IRC

Jabber

MSN

Napster

TOC

Yahoo

Zephyr

So basically, I can talk to pretty much anyone I want :D

Wow I guess you do have everbody covered<G> I just started using Jabber and Love it......it's kinda like ICQ but no popup or banner ads and it's open source and real cheap [free]

I'm a Trillian Pro (2) user as well. The basic version (0.74) is really nice; I recommend it to all my friends, but I love the Pro version for the 'meta contacts'

It allows you to make just one icon/name for each friend, even if they have multiple login names and IMs. It definitely reduces the clutter to be able to have just one program for all the interfaces, and just one name for each friend. Plus, the spellcheck, the email plugin, the rss feeds... I really hate to use anything but anymore.

I highly recommend changing the default skin to Aikon, whether you need the one for th e free version (Aikon 2) or the paid version (Aikon 3).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use AIM all the time, used with DeadAIM. The ability to clone AIM is great, much better than sn linking that just got implemented. Also, logging chats is extremely useful. Right now i'm waiting for Ostego to get finished so I can try that out with AIM, and of course the best thing is it's free :)

• 2 weeks later...