Spam - The 7th Level Of Hell

I am now getting upwards of 50 spam messages a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I know you have a spam filter installed, but all it does is tag what it thinks is spam, and requires my email program (Eudora) to move them to the trash. While this helps somewhat, it's catching less than half the spam I get. Can anything be done to help me stem the tide? Any new spam-filtering software being installed? I'm getting so fed up with all this junk, I am avoiding even opening my email. :goof: I may have to change my email address, which would be a major hassel (and wouldn't really solve the problem, I'm sure my new one would just accumulate spam over time too).

Thanks for any help,

Natalie

Natalie:

I haven't yet had the need to do so myself (crosses fingers, toes and several other body parts), but I understand you can set up a spam-catching account through CPanel.

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about the procedure; you will either have to read the documentation or wait for someone more expert to come along and advise you on implementation.

Natalie, in the E-Mail section of CPanel you have a "Email filtering" option. Click on it and on the next page click on "Add filter". You'll be able to specify individual filters, meaning you can block every single e-mail address from those #$%&@%# spammers.

Hope this helps.

Oh, thanks so much, I will set that up tomorrow.

I swear, spammers have got to be one of the lowest forms of life on the earth, second to murderers and maybe virus-makers. (At least virus-makers get some sort of satisfaction from it. Spamming to make a buck while polluting the net and really getting nothing out of it is just beyond my comprehension).

Just one caveat about e-mail filtering:

Spammers are usually one step ahead of any attempt to ban or block them. By the time you get an e-mail address and set up your panel to block it, the same spammer may well be sending you mail from a different address. :D And if that one isn't, forty-two other ones will be.

Now, there's nothing wrong with Raul's idea. By all means, filter addresses and hope that will suffice. But in case it doesn't, you may want to read the documentation and find out how to set up an e-mail account specifically to collect probable spam. If you're feeling ambitious, you can also find key phrases used by your particular set of spammers and try filtering for those as well.

The spammers, it seems to me, are just another manifestation of our nation's new anything-for-a-buck ethos--sort of Enrons in a teacup. I cannot consider them worse than virus-makers and other malicious hackers, but they are certainly on a par with the latter.

We need to get Congress off its collective gluteus maximus and to work on passing some new privacy and anti-spam laws with real teeth in them. But that will take a significant political transformation in Washington--starting with clearing some corrupt incumbents out of Capitol Hill and other places of power.

We need to get Congress off its collective gluteus maximus and to work on passing some new privacy and anti-spam laws with real teeth in them. But that will take a significant political transformation in Washington--starting with clearing some corrupt incumbents out of Capitol Hill and other places of power

While I agree something needs to be done to curb this stuff, Congress can't really do anything. The internet is global and most of the spam I receive is from offshore addresses. So since they can't be prosecuted here it will continue. Sad but true. :D

True, true, to all of it. And I definitely agree that our laws NEED to start catching up to the technology. I know they keep saying that the laws weren't created for this purpose, etc, etc... that's all well and good... so fix it!! I watch Law and Order all the time and it's usually fairly accurate of our laws... and one whole episode was about someone who installed cameras into every room of apartments he leased out... and they couldn't legally prosecute him because only WIRETAPPING is illegal, since there was only video and no sound, it's not illegal, and since it was his building, it wasn't even break and entry! Situations like that just show how very much we need to update our laws to protect the citizens' privacy.

Anyways, about the spam, I found the filter and set it to catch everything that spam-assassin tags, but set the lvl to 3 instead of 5, and it works like a charm! I'm now getting maybe TWO spam messages a day - compared to 50+! This makes me SO happy.

And I definitely agree that blocking individual addresses rarely work... even IF they don't hide their email address (most spammers disguise their addresses so it appears it's coming from somewhere else), they rarely use the same one twice. =/ It's an uphill battle, for sure.

Natalie

We need to get Congress off its collective gluteus maximus and to work on passing some new privacy and anti-spam laws with real teeth in them. But that will take a significant political transformation in Washington--starting with clearing some corrupt incumbents out of Capitol Hill and other places of power.

Boojum,

To which specific cases of corruption do you refer as it relates to the internet and spam mail? Are any of them in Florida? If this is true I don't want to vote for any of them... especially because of ignorance on my part.

Thanks