Glish - another css site

A list apart:: I think every web designer should read this one

Free gif animations

Web design references

Jeff Zeldman's site

Well, that's enough for now I think.

Happy surfin. Rock Sign

BTW,

If you want a blog I'd suggest Movable type. I've tried out a few of these (blogger, b2, wordpress, tiki wiki) and I think it is by far the most dynamic and feature rich (well tiki wiki has more stuff, but it's almost overwhelming). Easy to set up too. And it's open source.

Speakin of open source, one more site for ya:

Sourceforge

Strictly speaking, Movabletype isn't actually open source -- users aren't allowed to modify and then redistribute the software.

Have you used WordPress much? I have been using Movabletype for a couple of years and am thinking of switching, and have been considering WordPress. Its installation is a lot easier than Movabletype's, but I agree that it's not as polished on the user end of things. Still, it's smaller and seem a little sleeker in some ways.

Cheers-

-Alan

Sorry, you're right, I misspoke (long day for me). Movabletype IS NOT open source.

I would say that theoretically, wordpress is a better program because it makes the pages on the fly rather that having to rebuild every time you post an entry (I find that a little annoying). But I wanted easy to use features that I didn't have to be a coder to use. I think that movable is very staight forward (kind of like building a xml page really).

I was also very turned off by their support forums (guess that I got used to TCH's and have been spoiled). More argueing than constructive discussion IMHO.

Heh, to each their own. In a few years it'll probably be a nice solid and dynamic program. They are very aware of developing tech and are trying to tie it into the programs design. Heck, as easy as it is to convert blogs, I might go back eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

Great list ... don't forget www.istockphoto.com "the web designers dirty little secret" as they describe themselves.

I use it loads ... a massive collection of user submitted stock photos, flash etc with flexible licensing and very cheap (50c per download). Would be lost without it!

Ali

I would say that theoretically, wordpress is a better program because it makes the pages on the fly rather that having to rebuild every time you post an entry (I find that a little annoying).

Just keep in mind that part of the reason Movable Type rebuilds the affected pages when you post an entry and not on the fly is so that what is being served is static. Typically there is a lot more reading than posting happening on a blog, so this reduces the load on a server (and can speed up page delivery).

Just something to keep in mine when looking at "on the fly" blogs, especially when using shared servers. I haven't looked at wordpress personally.

I just switched to WordPress from Movable Type. My understanding was that rebuilding pages is hard on the server. Is building pages "on the fly" harder? Part of the reason I just switched was because WordPress is open source, so I see it never having limitations in where it can go. Plus it's interface feels cleaner and it makes more sense to login directly to the new post form. I don't know. I love Movable Type. This switch may be temporary. I really didn't need all of the functionality of Movable Type for a simple weblog.

Anyways, as to not derail the "web design bookmark" post, that's a nice list, especially for people interested or learning about web standards and using CSS to build sites.

I'm about to bookmark the CSS Template site. That's GREAT stuff. One stop shopping so I never have to build my own two or three column CSS site!