rklau

Problem Executing Php File Via Cron

Hi -

I recently installed an RSS aggregator that is written in PHP and has a mySQL backend. (It's here if you want to check it out.)

There's a way to automatically update all feeds using a page included with the app - called update-quiet.php.

I should be able to schedule a cron job to run this page periodically, but for the life of me I can't figure out the right command.

I thought it should be (in the entry for the command to execute via C-Panel's manage cron jobs):

php /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/directory/update-quiet.php

(When I run that w/e-mail notification enabled, I get a message that includes the headers of the php file, but it has not actually executed the script.)

Any idea why that's not working? What should this look like?

--Rick

Tech blog

php /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/directory/update-quiet.php

(When I run that w/e-mail notification enabled, I get a message that includes the headers of the php file, but it has not actually executed the script.)

Hrm, tat's exactly the form of a php cron job that I run. I'm not sure in this case if the file's permission's matter, but it's worth checking; is the file set to execute? Does the script work properly if you run it through your browser (ie, pointing the browser to yourdomain/directory/update-quiet.php)? Checking that might help with troubleshooting.

-Alan

Oddly enough, it does work when I execute directly, and the script's permissions were set properly. In any event, I followed the instructions to use "GET http://domain.com/path/to/file.php" and that is now working.

Note: I have the directory this file is in password-protected, and to authenticate I'm actually using the URL: http://user:password@domain.com/path/to/file.php.

Thanks for the help!

Oh really? That authentication works for the cron job in a password-protected directory?

I'm extremely happy to read that you can do that. I do believe that I will be adding that kind of protection to my cronned scripts!

Thank you for your help as well, rklau!

Edited by TCH-Robert

Sorry to bring up such an old topic, but it actually helped me. I was wondering, however, can I leave the email field blank so the script will not email me everytime it runs?

Thanks,

Sandro