Search Engine Woes

Deke

I've been going around and around on this one, and just when I think I have it figured out -- I don't have it figured out. Here's the deal: I have two domains. I created a subdomain on my TCH account which, I planned, would house the second of my two domains (it's a very small site: three pages in all). So I get my site up, it looks good, I put a redirect on my URL so it'll point to my TCH subdomain, and that works fine. Then I attempt to submit my site to search engines. Wall. It turns out the meta tags get lost when the site is redirected. No meta tags, no point in submitting site to search engines. Is there any way for me to get around this? I know that one solution is purchasing another TCH account for hosting my second domain, but I don't want to do that for such a small site (when I include my new site with my initial TCH site, I still have a ton of space left). What I was thinking of doing is redirecting my TCH subdomain to my second URL from the CPanel (if that makes sense). Now it occurs to me that'll cause the same meta problem as previously described, but I can actually put meta on the domain from the domain company's end. So I figure if I stop forwarding the URL, the meta will stay in place. Can anyone understand this insane babble? As long as I'm at it, I think I placed a "permanent" redirect on my second URL (their mechanism for doing redirects is very rudimentary). Now permanent in this case doesn't mean forever, right? So I'm thinking to break this redirect I just reset the DNS servers? :lol:

Deke,

Slight problem;

You may not sell the subdomain space to others, nor may you point other domain names to your subfolders. Sub-domains may not be used to host other domains

Per our AUP you may not point your second domain to any other part of your site.

You will actually need that second account.

Edit: I guess I was a little off and didnt do my homework about where your domain was registered. Please refer to Mikes post below.

Edited by TCH-Rob

Right. This domain is listed with a registrar other than TCH. So am I now back to my original problem? And are there any solutions?

Just caught your edit, Rob. Thanks for the clarification.

I'll get the hang of this edit feature eventually.

Edited by Deke

Deke:

I think I need some clarification.

Let us do it with either real or fictitious URLs.

Say www.AtTCH.com is your TCH domain.

Then we have other.AtTCH.com for the subdomain.

Now, we have www.somewhereelse.com at another host.

Therefore, you want to do...

Can I redirect other.AtTCH.com to www.somewhereelse.com without the meta being lost to search engines? That's what happened when I attempted to submit www.somewhereelse.com to search engines after I'd redirected it to other.AtTCH.com. Meta was on the pages, but was not seen by the search engines.

I'm also trying to figure out if resetting DNS servers will break a "permanent" redirection. Somewhat unrelated, but I thought someone out there might have a clue.

Thanks. :lol:

Deke:

Sorry, it is Monday and I think I am slooooow.

You state: "Can I redirect other.AtTCH.com to www.somewhereelse.com ..."

Then you say: "I attempted to submit www.somewhereelse.com to search engines after I'd redirected it to other.AtTCH.com"

This is contradictory, so I am still confused :dance:

Yeah, it's a doozy. Let me see if I can do a better job explaining. I'll try it in list form:

1. I purchased a domain.

2. I redirected this domain's URL to my TCH subdomain's URL (newdomain.com redirected to tchdomain/subdomain.com)

This worked. I was able to access newdomain.com by typing its URL into my browser. However --

3. When I submitted newdomain.com to search engines, the meta tags were not visible to the search engine spiders (or robots, if you prefer).

I was getting a message that there were no meta tags, when of course there were.

4. Somehow the meta tags were being lost when newdomain.com was redirected to tchdomain/subdomain.com

Without the meta tags, the placement will not appear where I'd like in search engines. I need those babies to show up! To overcome the meta tags being lost, I was considering --

5. Eliminating the newdomain.com to tchdomain/subdomain.com redirect. Replacing it with --

6. a redirect from my tch subdmain to my new domain's URL: tchdomain/subdomain.com redirected to newdomain.com

I would do this in CPanel, and I believe that's permissible. My question is if I did this, would the site be viewable when newdomain.com's URL was entered into a browser, and would newdomain.com's meta tags be seen by search engines?

I should also mention that I can -- and did -- put meta on newdomain.com from newdomain.com's registrar side. But this meta was also being lost in the initial redirect. I thought with a new redirect (see # 6) at least the aforementioned meta tags would stay in place and be viewable to search engines, if not the meta tags on the actual site pages.

Obviously I can expermiment and find this stuff out on my own, but I thought someone might know offhand. Additionally --

7. I believe my initial redirect (see #2) was somehow made "permanent".

The registrar for newdomain.com has a mechanism for doing redirects but it is very basic, and so I may have made initial redirect permanent when I didn't intend to. I say that because when I now try different redirects, I'm getting redirect error messages. So I'm also wondering how I might eliminate the initial "permanent" redirect. I was thinking I could do so by resetting newdomain.com's DNS servers? newdomain.com's registrar has no CPanel type of mechanism, so I can't go into some folder and make changes.

Clear as mud, no? :dance:

I got it. When you do a 'redirect', you are not passing information (i.e. content [e.g. Meta Tags]). You are just simply redirecting one URL to another. Thus, the location of the redirect would pull up the page and 'read' that content.

This means, that you need to just simply add the appropriate tags to your default file (index.html) in the subdirectory.

Make sense?

As to what 'type' of redirect you have, open your .htaccess file at the 'other' domain and it will reveal the type.

Hope this helps.

Scott, do you mean add meta tags to the index file of my tch subdomain? If so, they're already there. There are meta tags on every page of my tch subdomain site, but they are somehow being lost or hidden or whatever when I redirect. The site is there, it's visible, but no meta. In fact, the page title doesn't even show in my browser. Here's what I think may be the problem: I used URL Framing so my tch subdomain URL wouldn't show in the browser address bar on redirect. Is the framing killing the meta tags? Would they show if I just used standard URL Forwarding? But then my tch subdomain URL would show in the browser address, right? :D

Is the framing killing the meta tags?
That is it, masking will kill the meta tags on the new page. The browser and search engine are still on the frame and not the page being directed to.

By the way, some search engine companies don't like it when you do this. Bad things may happen.

Would they show if I just used standard URL Forwarding?

Yes, I believe they will.

But then my tch subdomain URL would show in the browser address, right?

Yes

Edited by TCH-Rob