mysterious pop up ads/spam

cloudrm

I really doubt the popup ads are related to switching to totalchoice, but they are probally because of spyware..

you may want to check out http://www.lavasoftusa.com and download the free version of ad-aware, and scan your computer ;)

Now the spam.. I'm not sure what would cause that, but I don't recieve any spam on my domain, and I only got a few domains filtered via c-panel..

The popups are definitely not because of moving to TotalChoice Hosting. Larry's right in that it is probably a spyware program that has hijacked your browser. Another program that is popular is spybot which can be found on the search engines. It is the one I prefer because it can actually block a lot of spyware programs instead of just looking for them after they get on your system.

If you have your email address on a webpage you can plan to get spammed - those guys are evil and will grab anything that looks like an address from any webpage they can find. Make sure spam assassin is turned on in your cpanel - that should help.

cloudrm,

Are you on windows NT/2000/XP?

If so are the popups like Gray Boxes?

If so it is your Windows Messenger,

to safely disable it go here: http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

In addition to being a security risk, Windows'

"Messenger Service" is being used to "Spam"

Windows users across the Internet.-grc.com

Ah, yes.

Yet another reminder of why it's nice sometimes to have a Mac. :rolleyes:

No Windows Messenger; no ads showing up on my desktop; no complete list of the contents of my hard drive being perused with evil intent.

Of course Boojum, if the OS's were reversed and MAC had the popularity Windows did and Windows that of the MAC OS I'd bet that you wouldn't be saying that.

It isn't that these types of things can not be accomplished on an alternative OS, but whats the point? If I were wanting to be known for bringing down the most machines I have to exploit the largest OS out there.

And saying it is more secure by default because of better code wont make a difference, if all the energy that was put into breaking the Windows OS was put into breaking another OS it would happen.

So yes, it is nice to have a MAC sometimes, or LINUX or UNIX or your C64 or....

yeah, I suppose I shoudn't jump to conclusions. . .at the same time, I don't use msn messenger or any other (yahoo, icq etc.).

It just sucks, and only a coincidence with my server turnover I think.

Yes, they are grey popup boxes, and I'm on windows XP/cable. I'll try that link & let you know if it helps, Thanks for the input!

Gary

After going to that link, I'm going to wait. . .I'm not comfortable downloading any new programs that will disable anything from the almighty software. . . :P

cloudrm,

Originally posted 10/3/03:

These are sent using the Messenger service integrated into Windows 2000 and XP (try the 'net send' command to see for yourself).

To disable the Messenger service, go to Start --> All Programs --> Administrative Tools --> Component Services. In Component Services, click on Services (Local), then on the right side, find Messenger and disable it.

Note: not everyone will have Administrative Tools in the Start menu. You need to make it visible under Taskbar and Start Menu Properties (right-click on taskbar --> Properties). The surest way to get to Component Services is to enter %systemroot%\system32\com\comexp.msc into the command line.

I disabled messenger and haven't been bothered by pop-ups in gray boxes since. Thumbs Up

Good luck!

TCH-Rob:

Your point is well taken, as it applies to hacks and exploits.

But Windows Messenger, from what I've read, is spyware built right into your OS by Microsplortch. And that, at least, is something Apple has never subjected its customers to.

After going to that link, I'm going to wait. . .I'm not comfortable downloading any new programs that will disable anything from the almighty software.

Steve Gibson, the owner of grc.com and writer of "Shootthemessenger" is a well known and respected programmer and security tech. He has been writing and supplying the world with free programs for some time now.

The manual instructions that Virtual Imager gave here is all the program does. But the program will also turn messaging BACK ON if you need it. It a simple one click ON or one click OFF process.

I have this program in my "tool box" and use it all the time when troubleshooting friends computers. The other programs of his are also in the toolbox and I highly recommend his site and programs.

• 2 weeks later...
cloudrm,

Are you on windows NT/2000/XP?

If so are the popups like Gray Boxes?

If so it is your Windows Messenger,

to safely disable it go here: http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

In addition to being a security risk, Windows'

"Messenger Service" is being used to "Spam"

Windows users across the Internet.-grc.com

I know it's a little late . . .but, yes, "shoot the messenger" worked out GREAT.

Thanks Alan Thumbs Up

Gary