Website Copiers

hmaf

Dear all,

I have created an HTML book using JavaScript and HTML. It took me a long time to complete it. The book is on my site.

How can I protect it from being copied by any of the Website Copiers.

The book is not on my site for download. It is a kind of HTML page with a panel and pages to the right. It consists of two frames.

I tried using HTTRACK and Teleport Pro and could copy my book with all the images, *.js files, HTML pages ...etc.

How can I protect all this effort that I have done.

If I use a frames page and put my HTML Page in one of the frames, would this help?

Thanks a lot

Tom

No, it wouldn't stop a site-grabber or a copy and paste.

If someone can read your book they can copy it. The trick for you is to make it as difficult as possible.

Most e-books are done in a small downloadable program that basically encrypts them and requires a registration code to make them viewable... but any legitimate purchaser of your book could then copy it even then if they have enough desire to.

The real key is the same as cryptography - make it difficult enough to copy it that the contents are not worth the effort and you're "mostly safe."

Guest schussat

Tom-

You mentioned that the ebook is currently not online. Is that just because you don't have a way to make it secure, or because you don't really want to distribute it online? If the latter is the case, you might consider an alternate format, like a protected PDF file that prohibits printing and copy-paste. I suppose there's nothing preventing you from using that format online, of course.

If distributing it online is the intent (to purchasers? to anybody?), you might put it in a directory protected via .htaccess and a password. Bots like google won't be able to access it, but anybody with the password can. If the ebook is intended for anybody who wants it, you can print the password(s) on a public page, and if not, you can email the password(s) to purchasers. This route by itself doesn't necessarily prevent someone from unscrupulously copying the content and reposting it or re-using it for their own purposes; a non-HTML document format that lets you nominally secure those options might still be useful in those cases, as Jim suggested.

-Alan

Thank you all,

Andy, I will take a look at the code, thanks.

The book is not actually for downloading. It will be a webpage with an address something like http://www.mysite.com/guide/index.htm. When the user goes there he/she will have to read the book online. They will have a left menu and a right frame where they can view the pages. It is like the MSDN library of Microsoft Website.

Thanks a lot

Tom

• 2 weeks later...