Is hidden text always spam?

I wanted to add hidden short description on top using an external CSS. Will it be considered as spam?

I just really don't like how google presents my site, especially the picture gallery pages where's no text, just thumbnails so google uses alt text and this *description * looks quite spammy :lol:

Some would say that if you are using hidden text via css that it is not spam.

I would tend to lean towards a more conservative (and less dangerous) opinion that any hidden text can (and may) be viewed as spam (i.e. why take the risk).

Think of alternatives:

a. be more creative with your alt tags

b. make your title tag more descriptive

c. be very conscientious with regard to your description tag

d. add body text?

Thanks!

I thought googlebot ignores description tag. At least I've never seen it using it :lol: For index file it uses body text, yeah, from narrow left column and it looks like: forum contact the webmaster, etc. :goof:

And I read somewhere that titles should be as short as possible to let visitors find you searching by site name [title] Isn't it true?

I thought googlebot ignores description tag.
No, that is not true. I know that this is reported on many different sites by many different professionals, but it is simply not true. Honest.

Well let me give you an example:

Look at this Google search for 'honesty'

The number one site shows:

Radical Honesty

Radical Honesty is communication that is direct, complete, expressive

and leads to intimacy. We provide workshops and books that ...

Description: How to transform your life by telling the truth.

Category: Health > Mental Health > Self-Help > Support Groups

www.radicalhonesty.com/ - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

A break down:

Radical Honesty

><title>Radical Honesty</title>

Radical Honesty is communication that is direct, complete, expressive

and leads to intimacy. We provide workshops and books that ...

><meta name="description" content="Radical Honesty is communication that is direct, complete, expressive and leads to intimacy. We provide workshops and books that help you complete the past and create the life you want.">

Note: hmm, look at that again. Google only has 128 characters... is that why I always suggest a description to be no more then 130 characters? :goof:

Description: How to transform your life by telling the truth.

This is their description found in the Dmoz directory

Category: Health > Mental Health > Self-Help > Support Groups

Google Web Directory Path (built from Dmoz)

No, you never know if googlebot used the text from the description tag or from the body because it's their body text as well :goof:

And how people get listed in Dmoz directory? They never listed anything I submitted :lol: although I didn't break any of their rules.

They were silly non-commercial sites, so I didn't really care, but anyway...

No, you never know if googlebot used the text from the description tag or from the body because it's their body text as well
No look again. Similar text in the body but not exact. There are many examples of this I just grabbed the first one I looked at.

And how people get listed in Dmoz directory?

Here is Dmoz's suggest a site page

Several comments about Dmoz, they do not accept everyone. Second, it can take a long, long time to get reviewed. I have had sites in the queue for over 8 months! They are overwhelmed with submissions and every single one gets reviewed by a real person.

One thing to remember, do not resubmit your site, if you do... your site goes back to the bottom of the queue.

Edited by TCH-Scott