Ip Number In Xp

TCH-Thomas

You may want to try a site that reports your IP. whatismyip.com is one of them. The reason is that locally my computer and the DSL modem are on a local network with local IP addresses. When the signal goes out through BellSouth it gets translated to a "real world" address so the two don't match.

Thomas, if you go to the website Jim gave you, your IP will appear at the top of that page.

This will be the IP that others see from outside.

The command I gave you will give you the IP that you are using on XP. If you are on a home network which uses a router you will see a different IP. Routers use "natting" which assigns a different IP to all the computers connected to an internal network. The external IP assigned to you by your ISP is used by the router. This external IP is the one you are looking for.

Now you can have either a "static" IP or a "random" IP and this is determined by your ISP. A dialup connection from an ISP is always a random IP, a cable or DSL connection is usually static but not always. Check with your ISP ISP to find out which one you have.

Im having a static myself. Why im trying to find this out is that i am inserting a counter on Michelles "Lakewood Unicycle Club" and since im in sweden and she is in the u.s i need to set up 2 ip´s for the counter to ignore. And Im just trying to figure out what way is most easy for Michelle to find out what ip she have.

Both of you go to thet web site and it will tell you your IP. Both go again in a day or two and see if the IP changes. If its the same you have a static IP. Be sure to reboot the computers and the cable modems and routers if you have them.

If either of you are using a Dialup connection like AOL or MSN then you have a random IP each time you log on and what you want to do will not work.