Using Php's Mail() Function

adoute

I have used PHP's mail() function in a few scripts before, for sending simple mail to one or two addresses. I have a database of approx. 6000 addresses that I would like to send a personal note to, a few (maybe 4 or 5) times a year. These are personal notes (I know, it's a lot of addresses). I have written a PHP script that will run through my database of addresses, and send an e-mail to each one individually, using the mail() function. I am wondering a couple things:

- Will this cause severe server load, thus degrading other users sites?

- Is this against the "Terms of Service"? (This is a PEROSNAL list, not for profit or spam)

I realize that using a canned "Mail List" software package may be preferable, but figured that writing a quick PHP script would be easier, considering the mailing will only happen a few times a year.

I have tested my script with a small list of addresses (works fine), but was hoping to get some "Official TCH" input before I ran it against my big db of addresses. So, TCH staff, what do you think?

Thank you for your input -

Allan Doute

(Hopefully, this forum is the appropriate place for this post. If not, my apologies.)

Is mailman (the mail list software available in C-panel) configured to only send 500 in 5 minutes? If so, that might be the easiest way for me to go.

If I used PHP's sleep() function, wouldn't the browser have to stay open until the script finished processing?

If mailman is the right way to do this, then thats what I'll do. Is that the concensus - that a mailing list is the best way to handle this?

Thanks -

Allan

TCH-Mike:

OK. I've looked through Dada Mail's documentation, and I'm not quite sure what configuration settings I'll need to make to avoid the 50 mails / 300 second limit. If I install it, would you possibly be able to assist me with configuration?

Allan

• 4 weeks later...