Zip Code Locator

Dorsey

I'm looking for something, either software or an algorithm, that would allow me to determine which ZIP codes surround a given ZIP code within a mileage range. I know that this is a somewhat nebulous request, but I'm looking for similar capability to map sites that locate businesses within X miles of one's home, given X and your home's ZIP code. I would hope this might be easier than implementing a map database and working at the street address level.

I suppose that I could obtain geographic data with map coordinates (latitude, longitude) of all known ZIP codes, and do the math. That may end up being the answer.

Thanks, all.

Dorsey

OK. About two hours after posting this, I found what I was looking for, and have implemented a decent locator. The most informative seems to be: www.greatdata.com. Of course, they want to sell you their database and software, but there's a free demo and an explanation of how to use it. They even accomodate changing latitude in their longitude calculation.

Another source for info is the U.S. Census Bureau at www.census.gov/geo/www/gazeteer/places2k.html. These folks only have info from the last U.S. census (2000), but it's extensive and free. The USPS also offers ZIP Code products for $25.

Do a vivisimo search (or Google, if you must) on "zip code locators" and you'll find a lot of stuff.

Dorsey