Looking For Link...

TCH-Thomas

Hi,

Since I think most people here on TCH drop by the open discussion, I figure it might be a good place to post this (since i dont know where i read it).

Yesterday I found a forum-message from someone who on its site had a link that set the resolution of the visitors monitor to what that site looked best in.

I dont remember what the message was about originally or who posted it so i cant search for it and it would be nice to have some similar function on my site. :D

-Thomas

Oooohhh. While it sounds like a wonderful thing that would be quite bad form by most standards. When most people visit a web site they are willing to allow it to put things on their screen in the little window they give it. If it, however, starts changing monitor settings then people:

1. Freak out!

2. Get scared it's a virus.

3. Get mad at you for "hijacking" their system.

4. Get really paranoid.

5. Get mad at you again.

I would advise against using any such script, for what it is worth.

True (didnt think about most of those things :( ).

But if done properly, with a text saying: This site is best viewed at 800x600, click here to change your resolution (No harm will be done to your system). Then i think such a option would work.

I agree that a script resizing when entering without the visitor being able to stop it, that is no good. But if done by a clickable link then the visitor have their own free will. Which is the issue on that site i was originally looking for. :P

-Thomas

Edited by Tonsa

I have seen scripts that will test their resolution and scripts that will redirect them to the version of a website that matches their resolution but I have never seen what you are looking for. In fact, I doubt it is possible because then a website would be controlling computer settings and that seems like a huge security problem.

There are a lot of ways you can try to match your page to their resolution including the ones I mention above and probably some good CSS techniques.

I hope you find something that will work well for you.