Pagerank From Another Site Question

Ok, here's a new question.

I am considering hooking my Charter Fishing guy up with a fishing megasite. The main page of that site gets a 6/10 PageRank(PR). The page on which they would link to my guy, however, is not-ranked.

I've heard it said that Google only looks at pages and not sites so it sounds like the link from these guys would be worthless in PR terms. Of course, they can pass traffic to me whether they have 0 or 10 PR and I am considering them for that reason alone. They say they get 50K hits per day so it's nothing to dismiss without considering. I just wanted to clear up the PR issue because that's one of their bragging points.

Thanks.

http://www.google.com/technology/

PageRank Explained

PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search. Of course, important pages mean nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query.

So I guess the opposite is true: Votes cast by pages that are themselves not important weigh less heavily.

And also: Votes cast by pages on important sites that are not themselves important weigh less heavily.

It really matters little anyway because as I said, if they get 50k visitors per day and we can be prominently listed in our geographical area it really doesn't matter what the PageRank is. I just wonder these things when I see them... thanks for the help now and always, guys.

One of the best suggestions I've heard on this topic was to request links as if you were hoping to get real traffic from the site and Pagerank didn't exist. If that were the case, you'd focus your time and energy on sites that were relevant to your site and had lots of traffic. You'd prefer a few awesome links rather than a bazillion random links.

Sort of like building a content rich site first, and letting search engine rank happen as a direct result of doing a good job.

That's not the way it always works in the real world, but sometimes it helps to look at things a little differently.

One of the best suggestions I've heard on this topic was to request links as if you were hoping to get real traffic from the site and PageRank didn't exist.

Jacks advice is wise.

To clarify Jim's PR question: a page that does not have PageRank (or PR zero) can not pass (or add) any PageRank to a linked page. Therefore, as it stands, it would be a worthless 'PageRank' contributing link (regardless of their home page). Now, that does not mean in time this page would not gain PageRank and thus contribute in the future.

Again, Jacks advice is good however if one is discussing a 'trade' of any kind, more discrimination may be in order. If I have an established site (i.e. good PageRank) and someone requests a link exchange, I definitely discriminate the requesting page that will link to my site. It MUST have PageRank and the links must be 'real'. A real link as in an actual URL to 'my site' (not JavaScript, PHP, etc, but a real http:// youknowwhatImean.com. If any of these criteria are not met, no link. Sounds tough but if you are the 'established' site, you have room (and reason) to discriminate.

On a side note but somewhat related. I would never (repeat never) recommend anyone to pay for a link. This would be wrong on many levels. One of my favorite SEO lines is, 'relevancy should not be bought'. Thus buying links to add to relevancy would be... well wrong. [slowly steps off soap box now]

Edited by TCH-Scott