Prevent Copying Website

techcircle

I took lot of pains to put together a nice website for my company. I was aghast to find my site copied by somebody I know. It is copied word to word, pic to pic. Just the company name is changed. My url is www.techcircle.com and the copy cat is www.microfocusinfotech.com.

I am working on going after them legally. But meanwhile I would like to know if there is any way I can avoid this kind of thing from happenning in the future. I am sure whatever changes I make this person will copy it without hesitation.

Appreciate the useful comments.

Mad!!!

techcircle,

Here is a thread where this was discussed recently: http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...hl=copy+protect

Basically if a viewer can see your site they can steal your site. You can make it harder but never stop it.

Hi,

Those 2 sites are amazingly similar - I can understand the Mad!!!

I use a bit of PHP code, there is a copy on this stop spiders stealing thread

This would probably not work for your site as people could manually copy and save each page - the script in the above thread simply prevents them from accessing more than about 6 pages within a few seonds of each other - very useful for preventing someone copying a large site.

Andy

I just had a chance to look at the two sites. Boy, this guy is totally without scruples! They are identical! Sheesh, guys like this give us all a bad reputation.

If you need help establishing that the design is yours for a lawyer use the Internet Archive at web.archive.org which takes snapshots of "all the 'net". You can see that you had that design up on Sept 23, 2002 and the "loser's domain" was only created on Aug 5, 2003 according to the whois at netsol.com so it's clear who was first.

It's a real shame because that's a great site design!

I had a friend just a couple weeks ago show us how his web site was stolen the same way. Now his is a "help" site that offers help and instructions for the Service we work for SBC!Yahoo (formerly Prodigy) and general computer related problems. There was not much he could do and he decided to not put the effort into having it resolved.

Now here is a suggestion. Since you are so close to this "thief", both of you are in PA, why not pay a visit to the "Registered Office" that is listed on the other web site. Print out both sites and print out the proof of dates the sites went live. Go to the president or COO or whoever is in charge and demand the site be pulled or legal action be taken.

It could be a simple matter of this second company hiring a young kid (or a relative of an employee) to do the web pages for them. The kid did the quick and easy route by using your design and changing company names to make it work... for a quick paycheck. The other company may not even know that you had the design first!

Good luck and thats is a nice looking site.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I found some really useful ones. The sad part of all this is I know the guy who did this. He has not changed it even after my calling him. He had the audacity to call me and tell me to lookup his site! We are pursuing this legally. If any of you get into a situation like this the following link might be useful. http://autoweblaw.com/

Again thanks to all the good folks at TCH.

Rock Sign