Search Engine That Sorts By Pr?

Deverill

I'd love to see a search engine or tool that would let me do a search on a string and then rank the results in PR order.

It probably will never exist since PR is changing all the time but if anyone knows of a way to get this please let me know.

I'd love to see a search engine or tool that would let me do a search on a string and then rank the results in PR order.
Some would say (actually I think most), "Well, have you tried Google" :)

You are referring PageRank when you use PR correct?

As they state on their site:

Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query.

Think about it Jim, PageRank is for a specific page and independant of any reference to a 'search term'. Therefore, how could you do a search 'on a string' and get results based purely on PageRank?

A ranking of pages solely based on PageRank would be the same regardless of the search string unless other 'text-matching techniques' are involved. Make sense?

Edited by dsdemmin

:) No, that's not what I meant. :) (I do mean PageRank when I say PR though.)

What I mean is if I had a website that made widgets in Kentucky I could search on "Kentucky Widget Accessories" and then of those pages returned I'd see the highest PR listed first.

Now I know that a high PR tends to move you to the top of a search but here's an example. I do a charter fishing site. I put in "fishing lures" and the #1 site is a 5/10. Site #2 is 6/10. We know some of the reasons this happens but I want it sorted by PR. This is why Google as is would not be exactly what I'm looking for.

Perhaps my reason would make it clear... I want to put in fishing-related searches and find the pages with the highest PR so I can solicit them for a link exchange to my site. I don't care if they are #1 or #500,000 in Google but if they have a PR of 8/10 I sure do want a link there. Now I doubt a 8/10 would be that far down the list but you never know... I just put "search engine" in Google and the #1 spot was Altavista! :blink: Then there's Lycos, Yahoo and then Google. AV and Lycos only have a PR of 9 where the latter 2 have a PR of 10. Ask Jeeves is #26 with a PR of 9 also. Go figure!

Too bad Google doesn't list PR with the results it returns so a quick scan could let you see the highest PRankers.

Also, I am aware that a link from a relevant site with PR 8 is not so good if no one ever gets down to that page when discussing fishing, but I need better PR and that is a quick way to boost it past the eternal 4 that it has always been. I can shoot for traffic later :) (Joking!)

I understand what you want... you want to rank the results of a search engine ranking page based on their PageRank (the ole double rank).

I have never played with Google's Web APIs. I have always wanted to, I have several cool ideas. Not sure if you can get to actual PageRank data but if you can, this might be the ticket.

On a side note:

Jim, it would be very safe to say that you should go after the top rankings sites for backlinks. I agree in your logic, but remember:

1) an actual rank does correspond to PageRank (I know that lower PR sites can be listed above a higher but still, it is directly associated [i.e. high with high]).

2) the time you put into discriminating could be put into getting more backlinks and, as we all know, the more the merrier.

[if you ever dabble with Google's API, let me know :) ]

Yeah, many times my ideas get me deep into the pit of time wasting. :)

That's a great idea about the API if the PR is available. If I do get a chance to mess with it I'll let you know if you do the same for me :D

Ultimately it's about traffic and you are right that we need links from the #1 position... not that it's that easy necessarily.

There has been a lot of discussion about ways to get PR for sites, but there really is no alternative to just looking at the google toolbar. You should try looking at Webmaster World in the Google News forum, because many people have asked similar questions. Try doing a site search there.

Unfortunately you probably cannot get the raw PR data for sites automatically, and you should probably spend your time developing content and links rather than searching for specific high PR links.

I will leave the Webmaster World link there, but most of you know I am very picky about our links.

It is the largest Webmaster/SEO forum on the net. That said, there is a lot of misinformed 'contributors' and thus a lot of misinformation. Be very, very careful what you gleam from their fourm.

... you should probably spend your time developing content and links rather than searching for specific high PR links.

So true dukeblue219 Thumbs Up

Thanks for the lead, and the followup caution. It seems that nothing is superior to content in the world of web-ranking. I just find it hard for my one particular site because it's charter fishing and the captain doesn't want to bother too much with it and I know almost nothing about fishing or boats so it's hard to create content and most of what I find is copyrited so that's a challenge.

But then again, if it were easy he'd be doing it himself!

I find myself asking the question, "Why would I pay $150/year for Webmaster World when we have awesome people at TCH for free?"

Is that site really, in y'all's opinion, worth the fee? Does it have that much that's not searchable on the free-internet?

Just wondering and budgeting.

Well.... I will repeat my opinion:

... there is a lot of misinformed 'contributors' and thus a lot of misinformation. Be very, very careful what you gleam from their fourm.

Need I say more :lol:

Not without being rude to them I guess. :lol:

They said one reason to sign up was community that was needed. Too bad they don't know about TCH - we have a mighty fine community right here.

Well also you don't have to pay $150 for WW, the google forums and most of the others are free too. I'm thinking about paying because I really like the site, but I may not because it is expensive.... It is wise to be cautious, but there really is a great wealth of information over there, even if they aren't as friendly as TCH ;)

OK Jim here is what you can do.

Go to Google's directory page on Recreation > Outdoors > Fishing > Guides and Charters > North America > United States

Now when you click on each state it will give you a list of charter companies within that particular state ranked by PageRank. Request an exchange link with every single charter company in the US. When you have exhausted all those, go outside the country.

This will give you (and the site) what it wants :(

[can anyone smell a number one ranking?]