Figuring Out My Ip Address

Thought I'd tinker with AWStats, and learn something new.

For some time I wanted to try to exclude my ip address from being counted as part of AWStats. From what I can see, it will be reset unless set to read only. See configuring AWStats at:

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...hl=awstats&st=0

My problem is that I'm not too sure what my ip address is. When I typed in "ipconfig /all" command on my computer, it listed ip address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS servers.

Following numbers are provided and substituted, as an example.

ip address:

DNS server:

But when I go online and do the ip check on my browser, it says something like:

Your ip address is:

Notice the similarities with ip address with DNS Server number, and leaves me more confused than ever.

Okay. I've checked out those links and they came back as same numbers as the one I checked online.

Many thanks to all who responded on figuring out what my IP really is. Thumbs Up

I always thought my IP address was the one displayed when I run command which gets this: 123.123.1.55

But then, I knew a friend who had the same result, thus increasing my confusion. If every single IP is different then why did that friend have same IP address? I guess we both were barking up the wrong tree with running the "ipconfig /all" command. :D

I'm using a DSL router, which probably accounts for different IP addresses.

Thanks again for your help. :(

You are exactly right about the DSL router. What happens is that you are set up on your local network as one address and then when you hit the internet proper it translates that address to whatever the provider is using.

There are some addresses that are for internal use only. For instance, at my workplace all our computers are 10.10.x.y which can not be connected to by the outside world. This way my company, Ford Motor Company, your company, etc can all have addresses without having to make up billions of combinations. Internally it doesn't matter to the internet what your address is... just so long as it can send packets to your router and get them to you.

When your data hits the router it goes through your provider and uses one of the hundreds or thousands of addresses assigned to that provider. The routers all take care of the address translations for you so you don't have to think about it. Note, if this is the case you may have a different address when you reboot your router or even at random times. The provider has the right to change your address at will unless you have what is known as a "static IP" and that usually costs extra.

Hope it helps!