Graphic Format For Scanned Text

Wilexa

Hi all,

I have several hundred pages of old manuals that have been scanned and are currently residing in TIFF format. (I only have the files, not the paper copies).

They are mostly text pages, with occasional photos and illustrations on a yellowish background. The images are nice and crisp but, at about 4.4 MB a pop, unsuitable for posting on the web.

They are generally about 1000px by 800px.

Any thoughts on the best way to cut the size down while keeping the text razor-sharp for easy reading?

Everytime I try to scale, change resolution, adjust the levels, or switch to JPEG, the text gets all fuzzy and yucky. I am trying to get the images easily viewable on an 800x600 monitor on a dialup connection.

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Here's an example to give an idea of what I'd like a finished product to look like(although it's already been "optimized". I don't have a original TIFF online at the moment.):

http://www.wilexa.com/dac/docs/docview/256/3

Any help appreciated,

Dave

Dave,

If you haven't made any progress yet, feel free to email me one of your files that hasn't been optimized and I'll see what I can come up with, then tell you what I did. I don't know if I can come up with anything or not, but I do a lot of image optimization...so, maybe. Crop one of your docs in half so that the email isn't quite so big and give me three or four days. I'll send you a PM with a different address than what is registered here.

Tracy

Another option may be PNG. They are ok on modern browsers and do pretty good job of compressing. It may be a middle ground between lossy and small and lossless and huge.

• 3 weeks later...

Although it's been a while, I wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions!

I have been off doing other work, but I really appreciate the help that you offered.

A special thanks to Tracy for all the personal help. :)

I have tried all the different options and can say (surprise!) that each one works best for a different file. So I will be using them all, on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks again! Rock Sign

...dave