Sign in to follow this  
Guest Len

USB problem

Guest Len

ok, i know this has nothing to do with hosting. I could not be more pleased with this hosting company or the support. I am having trouble with my USB ports. When i try and transfer a file from either my camera, or my card reader it reboots my system. I can get one file at a time to transfer as long as it isnt a very large file. Has anyone ever heard of this? thanks in advance

Len

USB can be the greatest invention for Windows PC, but it also can be a royal pain.

Example 1: I have a digital camera attached to a USB port, works just great. Got a newer version of the camera, installed the upgraded software -- can't see the camera at all anymore.

Example 2: Customer has a printer going thru the USB port. Spent XXX hours on the phone with Dell, Microsoft, HP -- bottom line -- they told him to reformat and reload. I said wait -- did some searching in Google, and 15 minutes later I had him up and running.

Example 3: Just got me one of those new fangled "disks ona keychain" -- 128MB memory disk, that clicks to my key chain. It comes with a USB port. Stick it into a computer, and voila -- better and faster than a ZIP drive!

Example 4: I have a customer who lives and dies by his Palm Pilot - with of course, a USB hot sync cradle. Everything has been working great for 3 months. He walks in last Friday, and all of a sudden he cannot sync up. I spent two afternoons at his office downloading drives, installing patches, reloading the Palm software - all to no avail, and running him up a bill for my time. Finally I went to Compusa, bought him a $30 serial port hot sync, and he's as good as gold.

Moral of the stories: USB must surely stand for: Unknown System Behaviour -- cause you never know what you are going to get with USB.

-kw

I absolutely love all things USB....EXCEPT on a win98 pc. :lol:

This is the clear advantage to using the XP OS. IMO and experience, there is nothing USB that you can't truly Plug-n-play onto an XP machine.

Len, my advice would be to uninstall the port by removing it from the Device Manager. If you aren't comfortable doing this, don't until you've read the help files and done some research.

Another, less painful thing that you should do is make sure that you have the very latest and greatest Service Pack for Win98. Think about it, USB was widespread AFTER win98. Get your OS caught up if it isn't already.

Last, and take all of this without warranty or guarantee, but spill the $100 for the XP Home upgrade if your PC meets the system requirements.

:lol: Signed,

The Masked Advizor

This probably won't make a difference, but have you tried plugging the card reader into a different USB port? (I'm assuming you have more than one.)

Andrew

I'm doubting myself for replying to this post already! And I haven't even started.

This Christmas I spent lots hours trying to install a wireless network for a friend.

I am a Mac OSX user, and don't know much about Windows at all.

But after talking to the customer service at Linksys (USB Wireless Adapter), they told me that I need a Windows 98 SE. Yes, "Second Edition" is the key.

I'm not sure if it is going to help, but it seems like you might have to upgrade your OS to at least an SE.

I'm just telling you what the tech support told me. Like I said, I'm on a Mac. :lol:

Good luck.

John, I am using the Linksys Wireless network adaptor that plugs into the USB port successfully on several Win XP and Win2K machines.

Lianna, as much as you like USB, and even though I like XP's, all my problems listed previously were with XP Pro workstations -- and none of these were upgrades from Win98 or Win2K -- they were all out of the box Win XP Pros!

-kw

Here is my opinion on the subject. If you are running win98 SE or above, USB should work fine for the most part. Len, is this a custom built PC or is it built by a manuf. Because if its custom built, this could simply be an issue with your motherboard chipset, southbridge to be exact. I've had 2 mobos in the win98 era and both required specific drivers, patches, and filters for USB to work perfectly. If its built by a manuf, I would have to eliminate it being a compatability issue and go with a clean install of your OS with the restore disc that was given to you by the manufacturer.

Dave

BTW, last week I bought one of those USB memory disks that can hang on a key chain -- 128MB of storage literally in my pocket at all times.

I've tested it out on several different PC's -- works like a charm! No software to load -- plug it into the USB port, and voila, I have a new drive D: (or E; or whatever)

-kw

I absolutely love all things USB....EXCEPT on a win98 pc. :D

This is the clear advantage to using the XP OS. IMO and experience, there is nothing USB that you can't truly Plug-n-play onto an XP machine.

That's funny, I'm swear my Logitech ClickSmart 510 is out to get me and my WinXP... Can never get it to work 'cept on my Win98SE machine. :lol: