Sign in to follow this  
Anacrusis

File Permissions

I'm trying to set permissions on one of my files to 444. I've tried using my FTP program and cPanel. I don't get any errors doing it but the permissions always revert back to 644. What's going on? I can't have read-only files or am I missing something here.

-- Adam

where is the file that you're trying to change? i was tyring to set my stats config file to 444, but apparently the new cpanel doesn't allow it. but all the files in my html folders seem to be retaining their proper permissions.

also, what are you using to set permissions? ie, i use ws_ftp.

Can't I do this myself? I want to set the permissions to a config file to 444 so I don't accidently overwrite it, but often enough I need do need to overwrite it. I'd hate to have to keep sending a support ticket everytime I want the permissions changed. The file is located in my public_html directory.

There is a bug in File Manger that is preventing permissions from being changed. You should be able to use an FTP program, however. If this is not working submit a ticket and we can test and see if something is wrong.

There is no way of knowing when it will be fixed. For now, the best option is to use an FTP program. He have links to several good free ones on our Help Page.

[update] I just found a post on the CPanel Forum and the problem has been found. There is a space missing in an html file. Shouldn't be much longer before it is corrected by CPanel. I just ran a test and fixed it on one server. I'll fix it on others as I can get to it.

Edited by Rickvz

Hey Guys

Just a note from an experience that I had last week.

Don't get carried away when you're setting permissions, pay attention to what you are doing.

Last week, I changed hosts from Webcountry to TCH and was setting permissions on some perl scripts, when I accidentally changed permissions on the "public_HTML" folder using WS_FTP LE and I couldn't access my web sites, I would receive a page saying "permission was denied to access rjskon.com", talk about panic.

I had to write out a Help Ticket and within 3 minutes, Mitch told me what I had done.

Richard