Passing Variables Between Pages

vendlus

What method do you all use to pass your variables between pages?? I've been using query strings like "additem.php?gameid=2", but I know google doesn't like dynamic naming for it's indexing. What do you use to either stay with a static address, or what do you do to make it look like a static address to google at least. :dance:

- Vendlus

Wishy-washy answer: It depends on the kind of site you are designing.

If you are trying for a standard commercial site, I would try for using sessions to pass variables. They are invisible to the user and are pretty cool all around. [Disclaimer: I don't have any commercial sites].

If you are going for a quick and dirty informational/personal site where search engine ranking does not directly relate to your income, the easy way with query strings is, well, easy. :dance:

And if you are a tidy webmaster, the pseudo-static page approach with mod_rewrite is attractive, but a bit time-consuming to set up.

I have tried all three and use all three approaches for different areas of my site.

...dave

Do a search on

force type apache
and you'll find plenty of info.

The one bit that I would add to Wilexa's post is that if you are going to use sessions to pass variables, then you should have a testing script that makes sure the user can accept cookies (or sessions) and have a back up plan if they can't.

Some ultra high security sessions will disable the sessions feature of php.

Do a search on
force type apache
and you'll find plenty of info.

The one bit that I would add to Wilexa's post is that if you are going to use sessions to pass variables, then you should have a testing script that makes sure the user can accept cookies (or sessions) and have a back up plan if they can't.

Some ultra high security sessions will disable the sessions feature of php.

oh yeah... I knew there was a reason my brain was rejecting something about sessions. :)

I'll certainly try that search out.

Thanks for your help guys.