Expired Domain Registration

happyharry

hi,

i want to get two domains that are available.

one expired july 1, 2003, yet internic and other sites say it is unavailable.

the other one expired the week of sept 20, 2003. registration sites say it too is unavailable.

how and when can i get them since they have both expired???

thanks

ron

ron@prohomeowner.com

(hosted with total choice the day i got smart)

Welcome to Domain Expiration 101. I don't have a chalk board but lets see if I can make this easy to understand. :( Keep in mind these times may vary a bit depending on the original registrar.

Here is what happens once a domain has expired. First it isn't dropped right away. Just like if you don't pay your electric bill the day it is due doesn't mean they come out at the end of the day to shut you off, the registrar gives you time to bring the name current. This can be from 30 to 45 days on average.

Next, if it is a .com or .net Verisign who controls those TLD's activates what they call a redemption period. This gives the original owner a chance to get the domain back at an inflated price, this can be $90 or more depending on the registrar and what they want to charge. The bulk of this goes to Versign. This is 30 days. If not paid in those 30 days then it is released into the wild on the 35th day.

This means there can be up to 75 days before a domain is really up for grabs. If you think these domains may be taken as they may be popular then you may want to consider backordering them. It is a bit more than just registering them outright but you have a better chance of getting them than waiting. If that is a possibility you can backorder here.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Edited by Critical Mass

• 3 months later...

I have a followup question to this.

Suppose I have a domain registered in my name. Unfortunately, it is registered via a hosting company (which is not a registrar, but rather a wholesale buyer from bulkregister.com). I seriously don't want this company to handle my domain name (I suspect they can disappear any day, plus they don't give me acces to domain info, no password, I can't change DNS servers myself, etc. etc.). So I want to stop paying them. Now, my question is this. During this grace period, can I change registrars?

Rob:

Thanks for the information, I always wondered how that 'time' was broken up.... and reconfirms my original feeling the Verisign people are weasels.

Vangrieg:

If you have access to the account, which it sounds like you do or you could not change the DNS servers, you should be able to change the contact information (Registrant [should require an email response verification], Administration and Technical).

Good luck.

If you have access to the account, which it sounds like you do or you could not change the DNS servers, you should be able to change the contact information (Registrant [should require an email response verification], Administration and Technical).

Thanks for your reply, Scott.

No, I don't have access to the account, that's the problem. I cannot change DNS servers for that domain. This is exactly one of the reasons why I don't want to work with them. On the other hand, I don't want to lose the name...

vangrieg,

This is a tough one. No, you can not change registrars during this time. All changes must be made before the expiration of the domain name. All of the information is in your name when doing a WhoIS correct? If it is you are on solid ground. I am curious as to what they say when you try and contact them about getting access to your domain and changing settings.

No, you can not change registrars during this time. 

Ouch...

All of the information is in your name when doing a WhoIS correct? If it is you are on solid ground. 

Yes, the information is correct. I can't see how it will help me though...

I am curious as to what they say when you try and contact them about getting access to your domain and changing settings.

Well, they say that I have to contact them every time I want to change anything. Sometimes it takes a few days for them to react. My major concern though is that I suspect they can just disappear one day with my domain. I have other domains for which I have password and all, and it feels so much better. :D

By the way, can I transfer a domain name to you, for example? Will you charge for the transfer and will I have a password to access domain settings?

vangrieg,

Since you are the admin contact this can be easy. If you have more than 10 days left and dont mind spending $10.95 US then I would go here http://www.secureserver.net/default.asp?pr...simple&se=&isc= and transfer the domain to TCH. When you go through the transfer the domain is still good until its expiration date and you get a year added to that. You will create an account during the transfer and will maintain total control of the domain name. We dont see any of that information.

All corespondance will go to the administrative comtact of the domain name.

TCH-Rob,

thanks, this sounds good! I'll most probably do it as soon as I get in touch with other interested parties involved.

You guys are great, just in case nobody told you before.

Just one more question: what happens with the DNS records during the transfer process? Will they be active and working?

If they are already pointing to us then there should "not" be any own time. That said, nothing is perfect so I would caution those involved that although there isn't any predicted downtime that there is a small possibility.

When dealing with DNS, transfers or anything else in the internet business you can be 100% sure that nothing is 100% sure.

If they are already pointing to us then there should "not" be any own time. 

Er, no, they are not pointing at you, the site in question isn't here, not yet at least. I have a different site hosted with you guys. Does it matter? Can I use the transfer feature without having an account with you?

When dealing with DNS, transfers or anything else in the internet business you can be 100% sure that nothing is 100% sure.

Sure. I was wondering about the rule.

• 2 years later...

I have another issue with expired domain. I tried to buy an expired domain (one of my friends did not pay his bill on time and lost his domain; I tried to regain his domain). Unfortunately I did not manage to buy the domain (some else bought it).

And now I am puzzled with the cash Paid to TCH.

I see I have a back-order credit on my account. Well, that's fine. However I am not planing to order any other domain.

Can I use this credit in any other way (e.g. to renew my domain hosted by TCH)?

This is a slightly old thread you have responded to :tchrocks: but to answer your question...

The domain registration side, and web hosting side are separate, so finances cannot be passed across. However, if you just paid for us to attempt to purchase the domain name, and the domain was not purchased, then the money is refunded. Just contact the domain registration side at

https://www.securepaynet.net/gdshop/support...1828&se=%2B