Robots.txt & Favicon.ico?

mitzibear

[Mon Sep 8 00:09:34 2003] [error] [client 64.68.82.7] File does not exist: /home/mitzi-b/public_html/404.shtml

[Mon Sep 8 00:09:34 2003] [error] [client 64.68.82.7] File does not exist: /home/mitzi-b/public_html/robots.txt

[sun Sep 7 11:58:04 2003] [error] [client 64.164.9.65] File does not exist: /home/mitzi-b/public_html/404.shtml

[sun Sep 7 11:58:04 2003] [error] [client 64.164.9.65] File does not exist: /home/mitzi-b/public_html/favicon.ico

Can anyone tell me why these are showing up in my error log. I know they are showing up cause they can not be found but at the same time what in the world are they someone keeps looking for these things on my site.

Hi,

Favicon is a icon that IE looks for when people bookmark your site. Its a small 16x16 gif graphic which you place in your root folder and when people visit in IE it pops up where the current "e" in the URL bar is now.

Robots.txt is a text file that some robots look for when indexing your site. You can tell them where to look and what to index although note that not all robots will follow your instructions

Both can be found by having a quick google

Jim

Hi Mitzi,

I've been going thru the same process also - eliminating error where I can.

The favicon doesn't seem to be anything to worry about - in fact considering how small it has to be, I'm not convinced it's worth the effort at this stage.

I did start using a robots.txt file after I found out what it was for. For example, I discovered that one of the search engines had indexed a download page of mine and that people could get the freebie without registering. So I've named that page in the Robots.txt file under the "disallow" category so that it won't happen anymore. Similarly I put my error page in there in the same way - to stop it getting indexed and/or entered directly.

Hope this helps. Seems that all us Newbies travel a similar path at different times.