Need Modem Help

watcher6342

i have used vonage modem for 7 years, i do not have cable or satelite . my question is,what type of modem do i need to have in order to have my internet back. i have fiber optic to house but the lady at the isp said i dont need a modem. this doesnt sound right to me. my modem has always been first then to wifi router. but since vonage modem was hooked up with phone line, will a regular modem be able to hook up to phone line to give me internet or will i need them to run line inside house so i can use regular modem? i dont need vonage anymore since all my phones are cells now. i just need to know what steps to take so i can continue to have internet. any and all help will be appreciated. thanks

ok, i called them back and they said i do not need a modem or anything, since i already have an ethernet jack. i have high speed internet with them. although i dont consider 12mbps fast.she said all i have to do is connect through the ethernet jack straight into my wifi router and all will be good. i always thought you needed modem to get internet. what gives? am i missing something? like i said in my earlier post, i have fiber optic to my house, no cable since i dont watch tv, or satellite. can anyone help me understand this?

It is possible that you are receiving direct IP transit from your provider. If you have an Ethernet jack , plug your pc into it and see if you get a good link. You do not always need a modem for internet connection. This is mostly seen on smaller scale ISP companies.

I am sorry but we are really not in a position to support your ISP connection.

http://btconline.net/ appears to be your provider.

You should be able to use their website to get the help you need.