Wordpress - File Exceeds Maximum Upload Size

442GlenwoodAvenue

As someone who is new to Wordpress, I'm getting this error message with relatively small files when uploading. All the solutions seem to point to the web host's php.ini file, which I can't find. I don't really understand why there is a limit to begin with. I can upload large files directly via FTP, so why is Wordpress affected?

Can any wordpress experts enlighten me to the solution to this?

This file exceeds the maximum upload size for this site

Wordpress uses PHP for file uploads which has a limit set on the server. As Mike said you can open a ticket with the help desk and they can help you create a php.ini file for your site or just upload your files with an FTP client which does not impose limits.

Support changed to php.ini file limit to 20meg. I changed it to 80meg. I'm trying to upload a 36 meg file via the Wordpress 'media' link.

Oddly, the Wordpress media link has now gone from a 2meg limit to an 8meg limit, even thought the php file limit was first changed to 20meg (via the support change), and then 80 meg (by me).

I still can't upload a 36meg file. I tried a 1 meg file, and Wordpress took it.

Why is there such a small limit to begin with? I can easily upload a 1gigabyte file via ftp.

I tried using ftp to upload the 36meg mp3 file to the Wordpress 'uploads' folder, where all my other uploads are. The file is now there, but Wordpress doesn't recognize the file from inside the 'media' function.

I'm trying to imbed an audio player, and I'm thinking the work-around it to upload the 36meg file onto one of my other sites, and then link to it.

Never mind, I found a work-around that gets around this file limit issue. I learned how to use one of the audio player plugins. I created an 'audio' folder on the server (per the plugin instructions), upload the audio file to that folder via ftp, and the plugin knows how to find it. Then, insert the following code into the Wordpress page, and everything is OK.

[audio:yoursite.com/audio/yourfile.mp3]

Edited by 442GlenwoodAvenue