How To Block Email Verification

lhite

i'm looking for a way to block programs from verifying if an email address is valid. there are lots of tools out there that purport to do this -- for example, see network-tools.com. select the "Email tests" button, and you can use that to check if a particular email address is valid or not. according to their FAQ, however, most email servers have this feature blocked. but alas, it's obviously not blocked on my TCH server. is there a way via CPANEL to turn this feature off?

Email verification feature is disabled on our server due to numerous complaints we got from users saying they are not able to get mails from subscriptions. Eg, if you are a subscriber to New York Times, their newsletter will have the address, say no-reply@newyorktimes.com, which will not be an active email address in an effort to reduce spam emails they receive. So if we enable that feature, the mail server will query back new york times server to see if that email address is valid, and on finding it not so, reject the email.

In a shared hosting server platform there is a limit on enabling all features, considering the diverse accounts that gets hosted.

i'm not sure i'm following you here -- you are talking about the TCH server being able to verify an email address on a remote server (in your example, newyorktimes.com). i'm talking about a third-party being able to verify an email address on a TCH hosted server. seems like those are two totally different functions.

crickets........

ok, i've been digging around the internets and best i can tell no mail server can block this type of email verification. now the VRFY command referenced at the network-tools.com site can be blocked. but you can accomplish the same thing via the RCPT TO command, which is exactly what the tool there does, and that command cannot be disabled (i'm guessing if it were, the whole SMTP process would fail to work). however, just because that tool says that a given email address is valid, does not necessarily make it so -- if the mail server is configured with a default address to use for all unrouted mail, then that tool is essentially going to "accept" any and all email addresses regardless of whether an actual mail box exists for that address. so if you are using that tool to verify email addresses, if an address fails you know that it's invalid -- but if an address passes, you don't know for sure whether it's valid or not.

now what i was looking for is a way to block such a tool from seeing that a given valid address is in fact valid. but alas, that doesn't seem possible -- not at TCH or anywhere else. for any valid email address, the RCPT TO command will always tell you it is valid.