Adobe

Mrs. Muddled

What should I download from Adobe? There appear to be many options and I don't really know what I need to download and what I can ignore.

What about Flash?

These are the programs I appear to have in my computer. What are your thoughts? I have used Foxit at some point but have deleted it.

Acrobat.com

Adobe AIR

Adobe Download Manager

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX

Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin

Adobe Reader X (10.0.1)

Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5

Flash player and shockwave (free) is used on some sites for animations and other effects so that is good to have installed.

The pdf reader, also free, are not needed as there are alternatives like Foxit.

As for other Adobe products, no others are needed unless you want them as most of them cost money and there are free alternatives for those too.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Thomas ... helpful as always. Every so often I seem to get a flurry of Adobe products demanding my attention. Actually I've probably asked about them on TCH in years gone by. I did try Foxit for awhile after it was suggested here. I eventually deleted it and just gave in to Adobe. They are persistent aren't they.

Flash player and shockwave (free) is used on some sites for animations and other effects so that is good to have installed.

The pdf reader, also free, are not needed as there are alternatives like Foxit.

As for other Adobe products, no others are needed unless you want them as most of them cost money and there are free alternatives for those too.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm back with Adobe questions.

I got a letter from my password program telling me that hackers claimed to have hacked the Adobe site 2013-11-03 and they had detected that my email address was included in the data published as part of the leak. Needless to say I was not pleased. I have since changed the passwords and I hope that's the end of the bad news :unsure:.

I still don't really understand why I am actually "signed in" to any of their programs. I don't pay them any $ for whatever it is they do ... so why do I have to be signed in with a password?

Why do they give me any of their programs?

Installed on this computer are:

Adobe Acrobat 5.0

Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX

Adobe flash Player 11 plugin

Adobe Reader XI (ll.0.05)

Can I/should I delete any of the above without messing up my computer?

Hi,

I have never used Adobe Acrobat so I can´t tell if that program needs you to be signed in to it, but the others should not require you to log in anywhere.

As for the "delete any" question, do you ever create pdf files? If not then you could delete Adobe Acrobat 5.0.

The Adobe Reader is for viewing pdf files. If you read pdf files form time to time, you do need a pdf reader but there are alternatives for that which claims to be "better/safer" than Adobe reader, such as:

Foxit reader (foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/)

Nitro (nitroreader.com/)

As for Adobe Flash Player, you need this to view flash content on the web.

Hope this helps.